Course Content and Outcome Guide for SPA 290A
- Course Number:
- SPA 290A
- Course Title:
- Spanish Composition
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionReviews and practices basic grammatical concepts to increase confidence and fluency in writing correctly. Recommended: Completion of SPA 203, 251 or instructor permission. Prerequisites: WR 115, RD 115 and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the courseThe student:
Understands the basic components of paragraph and multi-paragraph essays.
Applies language-learning skills to various real-life situations.
Recognizes and approaches cultural differences with respect and open-mindedness.
Outcome Assessment StrategiesStudents will be assessed by any combination of the following:
1. Active participation in class discussions.
2. Improvement in grammar and writing skills through paragraph and essay writing.
3. Improvement of speaking skills beyond the second year level.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
1. Advanced grammar and vocabulary, both in writing and speaking
2. Essay organization
3. Short readings which provide a basis for discussion and written topics.
Course Content: Competencies and skills:
The student will:
1. Read and understand main ideas and themes of short readings and be able to respond to
them in writing.
2. Integrate and use new vocabulary in contextual situations.
3. Begin to apply themes and ideas to real-life situations.
4. Improve speaking and writing skills beyond the level of second year Spanish.