Course Content and Outcome Guide for MSD 180A Effective Summer 2015
- Course Number:
- MSD 180A
- Course Title:
- Goal Setting and Productivity
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionThis 10-hour workshop focuses on steps for setting goals and successfully completing them. Includes the SMART goal approach, the benefits of setting goals, identifying and overcoming obstacles, and creating achievable, small steps. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Identify benefits, obstacles/solutions, specific steps, and support in the goal setting process.
- Select appropriate goal(s) and complete each step of the goal setting process.
- Identify obstacles and describe creative methods for overcoming or by-passing them.
- Describe a step-by-step plan for implementing goals.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Describe all elements of the "SMART" goal setting process
- Develop an individual goal setting plan.
- Demonstrate techniques for overcoming obstacles.
- Create a step-by-step model for achieving goals including the target and review dates.
- Apply learned skills through an outside project.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Apply the five characteristics of the SMART process.
- Identify obstacles and develop steps for overcoming the obstacles
- Describe the essential characteristics for creating a positive goal setting environment
- Implement the steps for helping self or employees set realistic goals.
- Select members of a support system for encouragement.
CONCEPTS, THEMES, ISSUES
Creating a "vision" is the first step in successful goal setting. It is a learned process, to be taken in small steps help to ensure success.
Production goals and personal goals can both be achieved. Goals must be jointly developed, put in writing, and understood at all levels
Obstacles may occur; however, they can be overcome. Benefits must be important to the individual in order to achieve goals.