- Course Number:
- GD 229
- Course Title:
- Portfolio Preparation
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers the process of developing a professional-level graphic design portfolio. Requirement: Must be eligible to graduate in the current calendar year to enroll. Prerequisites: GD 222, GD 228, GD 244, GD 260.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Present a body of work demonstrating the design and technical skills required to qualify for employment or transfer to a 4-year school.
Course Activities and Design
Portfolio Preparation employs lecture, one-on-one exchange, class discussion and critiques, and professional presentations to inform students of the possibilities and methods for assembling a professional portfolio. Students will use outside lab hours for revamping previously produced pieces. Students participate in videotaped, simulated employment interviews to prepare themselves for entering the job market.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The compilation of a professional-level portfolio will be the major criteria for evaluation. The package will be evaluated for production values, design, creativity and meeting all specifications of the project within the deadlines. Participation in classroom discussions, exercises and interviews will be an additional factor in assessment.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Photography & lighting
- Create, revise, and refine multiple design solutions to stimulate viewer interest
- Apply all elements of typography at a professional level
- Reproduce project comps for quality presentation
- Build a cohesive organizational system to display creative work
- Develop a thorough record of process work for a specified project