Nursing Program: Admission
Sylvania Health Admissions Office, HT 205 | 971-722-4795
Thank you for your interest in the Portland Community College (PCC) Nursing Program!
The open application period for the 2014-2016 Nursing Program is now closed. Applications will be available for the 2015-2017 Nursing Program in early September, 2014.
PCC is a member of the Oregon Consortium for Nursing Education (OCNE). This coalition of statewide nursing educators and programs consists of OHSU, PCC, Umpqua Community College, Southwestern Oregon Community College, Rogue Community College, Lane Community College, Clackamas Community College, Mount Hood Community College, and Blue Mountain Community College. OCNE schools have the same prerequisites and comparable application processes for students.
45 prerequisite credits are required to begin the PCC nursing program. For admission to the program in Fall 2015:
- At least 30 of the 45 credits of prerequisites must be completed by the end of fall 2014.
- The remaining prerequisites must be completed by the end of spring 2015.
The 30 credits must include BI231 and Math 95/Math competency. Students who satisfy the MTH 95 requirement by competency must complete a Compass, Asset or Accuplacer placement test and place into Math 111 equivalent or higher (based on PCC's scoring guidelines).The placement test must be completed by the end of fall term 2014 (December 14, 2014). Students who satisfy the math requirement with placement test will need to meet the minimum 45 credits required for entry to nursing school by completing additional general education electives. Applicants to the nursing program may use a placement test to meet admissions requirements; however, students completing an Associates of Applied Science Degree in Nursing (AAS) must meet math graduation requirements.
Cumulative GPA of prerequisite courses must be at least a 3.0.
- Individual prerequisite courses must be taken for a letter grade and must be completed with a grade of “C” or higher.
Applications for the 2015-2017 Nursing Program will be accepted between October 1, 2014 and February 16, 2015. Please note that we will not accept any applications submitted before October 1st.
Applications and all supplemental materials must be received in the Health Admissions Office by February 16th at 5pm. Late or postmarked applications or materials will not be accepted. We do not accept faxed, emailed or scanned applications or material.
All required documentation is the full responsibility of the applicant. Failure to provide all required documentation, including contact information, will invalidate the application.
When applying, please submit the following items:
- Application to Portland Community College (Students must be admitted to PCC as a credit seeking student prior to completing the nursing application)
- Completed Nursing Application
- Official, sealed college transcripts from all institutions attended (other than PCC). Transcripts must be submitted with the program application to the Health Admissions Office and must not be mailed separately. Other PCC departments, including Student Records, will not be able to accept transcripts for nursing applicants on behalf of the Health Admissions Office. Applicants who applied the previous year do not need to submit official transcripts unless they completed new coursework.
- Any additional documentation including, but not limited to: work experience, college transcripts, test scores, etc.
- $40 application fee with your Nursing Application.
Please submit all required application materials to:
Health Admissions Office - SY HT 205
Portland Community College
PO Box 19000
Portland, OR 97280-0990
Applications to PCC’s Nursing Program are evaluated on a two-tiered process. The first phase consists of a 60-point scale based on prerequisite GPA, prerequisite completion, prior degrees, health care experience and other criteria. For more information on the points system, download a copy of the Advising Guide. The second phase of the Nursing admissions process will consist of a proctored essay.
2014 Essay Dates: Essays will be held April 15, 16 & 17, 2014. Applicants will be assigned an essay date and time and must participate or forfeit their application. Students will receive notification regarding selection to the essay through their MyPCC email address. All applicants must have a MyPCC account to receive essay notification. Students should expect to receive notification of essay invitation in early April.
Proctored Essay: Applicants will be notified of their application status in early April and, if invited to the proctored essay, will be assigned a time to participate in the essay. All applicants invited to the proctored essay are required to be present for essay and must participate or forfeit their application to the Nursing Program. Up to 40 points will be awarded for the proctored essay based on a shared OCNE criteria/scoring rubric. The essay questions will not be based on any specific prerequisites or other courses, but will address general factors such as personal values, diversity, communication and critical thinking skills, motivational fitness, tolerance for stress and transferable skills.
- Tie Breakers: In the event that two or more applicant scores cluster at the acceptance cut-off point PCC will use tie breakers in the following order: 1) In-district student; 2) Overall prerequisite/preparatory GPA; 3) Math grade; 4) BI231 grade.
Additional Nursing Program Admissions Requirements
Students offered placement and/or alternate status to the 2014 PCC Nursing Program will be required to attend two mandatory orientations over the summer. The first orientation will be held on June 18, 2014 and the second will be held the 2nd week of September. Attendance at both sessions is required.
Admitted PCC Nursing students will need to meet the following requirements before they can begin attending Nursing classes:
- Successfully pass a criminal background check from agency designated by PCC.
- Successfully pass a ten-panel drug screen from a lab designated by PCC.
Both the criminal background check and drug screen are administered by the PCC Nursing Department. Applicants with questions or concerns about the criminal background check and drug screen may contact the Oregon Board of Nursing at 971-673-0685 or the Health Admissions Office at 971-722-4795.