Private Music Lessons
Private music lessons (MUP courses) are available for credit through both the Sylvania and Rock Creek campuses and are required for students who plan to major or minor in music at a four-year university. Lessons are also available for credit to non-music majors. Our private lesson faculty includes some of the finest musicians in the Pacific Northwest.
If you are a private instructor, please review our instructor guidelines before commencing lessons and contact John Mery or Jason Palmer to review the Course Content Outcome Guide (CCOG) specific to your instrument.
To enroll in private music lessons for credit, follow these steps:
- Review lesson requirements and fee policy.
- Lesson requirements: Complete ten (30 minute or 60 minute) lessons with off- campus instructor per term. Attend all Friday performance sessions and perform in minimum of two per term. Perform in end-of-term concert each term. Complete music jury examination each term (schedules listed below).
- Fee Policy: Lesson fees are paid directly to the instructor in addition to PCC tuition. Lesson fees vary according to the specific instructor. Average cost of 30 minute lessons is $25-$30 per lesson and $50-$60 for 60 minute lessons.
- Contact John Mery at Sylvania or Jason Palmer at Rock Creek (applied lesson coordinators) for private instructor contact information and for permission to register for lessons. If you are already studying with a teacher who is not on this list and wish to continue with them, we can send application forms to the teacher for potential approval.
- Contact the teacher to arrange schedule and fees (payment is made directly to the instructor). In order to receive: two credits per term for applied music, you need to take the equivalent of ten 60-minute lessons.
- Attend and participate in music performance sessions, held Fridays at 12:30pm in HT 123 (Sylvania lessons) and the Forum Theatre (Rock Creek Lessons). Music performance sessions provide a less formal environment for the development of performance skills. Students should perform repertoire that represents material covered during their applied music lessons. These meetings are mandatory and will make-up part of the final lesson grade. Important points:
- Attend the first music performance session. The first music performance session is absolutely mandatory - anyone that is registered and misses this meeting will be dropped.
- Attend a minimum of six performance sessions.
- Perform in a minimum of two sessions.
- First performance must be completed by the fifth week of sessions.
- Performance material should be limited to no more than 12 minutes.
- Spring 2014 Schedule (Fridays)
- April 4, 11, 18, 25
- May 2, 9, 16, 19, 23
- Participate in final concert and Jury Examinations. Final concerts and recitals are held in the Sylvania campus Performing Arts Center (PAC) for Sylvania lessons, and the Forum Theatre for Rock Creek lessons. They provide an opportunity for students to present work covered in their private study, and are open to the public. Attire is semi-formal concert black.
- For final performances, performance information (title, composer, and composer dates) must be submitted by the deadline set by the instructor. Students who do not meet this deadline for the program will not be allowed to perform on the final recitals and will receive a grade of "Incomplete" for the lessons.
- Spring 2014 Concert and Jury Schedule
- Sylvania Concert Dates: Tuesday May 27 and Wednesday May 28 at 6:30 pm in Sylvania PAC
- Sylvania Music Juries: Friday May 30 9am-2pm
- Music Jury Exams: bring jury examination form
You will not receive credit for private music lessons unless all steps are completed.