Manufacturing Plant Electrician
The Manufacturing Plant Electrician Apprenticeship is overseen by the MA #1018 Metro Manufacturing Plant Electrician JATC. Follow the links below for information regarding the Manufacturing Plant Electrician Apprenticeship Program.
All Apprenticeship classes are open enrollment and open to the general public. Successful completion of Apprenticeship course alone, does not allow a student to take a state examination and gain a license for a journey-level card. In order to qualify for Oregon State license or journeyman exam, completion of both OJT and RT hours are required as outlined by the specific trade JATC. Additional Apprenticeship electives may be referenced on each programs JATC Approved Electives Lists and found throughout this schedule. All apprenticeship applicants must have an employer sponsor. For OAR compliance, Apprentices MUST choose a letter bearing grade for credit classes. Information about Trade specific degrees is also available.
For more information on Apprenticeships please attend an orientation on the 1st Tuesday of every month from 12-1pm at the PCC Swan Island Trades Center, STC 120. Text books for these classes are at the Cascade Campus Bookstore.
2015-2016 MPE Apprentice Class Schedule and Cost Worksheet
|Term||New Course Name / Number||Credits||Tuition Estimate||When and Length of Course|
|Term I (fall)||APR 121: Intro to Electricity and Circuits||3||313.60*||Monday Evenings / 12 weeks|
|Term I (fall)||CEU 925-Coyne 1st Aid/CPR for Trades||8 CEU's||25.00*||One Friday or Saturday Class Annually|
|Term II (winter)||APR 122: AC/DC Motors Principles||3||313.60*||Monday Evenings / 11 weeks|
|Term III (spring)||APR 123: AC Theory for Motors and Transformers||4||411.80*||Monday Evenings / 11 weeks|
|Term IV (summer)||APR 201: Electrical Motor Controls||3||313.60*||Tuesday OR Thursday Evenings / 11 weeks|
|Term V (fall)||APR 124: Electrical Systems Operations||3||313.60*||Tuesday Evenings / 12 weeks|
|Term V (fall)||CEU 925-Coyne 1st Aid/CPR for Trades||8 CEU's||25.00*||One Friday or Saturday Class Annually|
|Term VI (winter)||APR 125: Electrical Circuits and Wiring Methods||3||313.60*||Tuesday Evenings / 11 weeks|
|Term VII (spring)||APR 126: Electrical Systems Installation per NEC||3||313.60*||Tuesday Evenings / 11 weeks|
|Term VIII (summer)||Elective - See Approved Elective List||varies||varies||varies|
|Term IX (fall)||APR 221: Advanced AC Circuitry||3||313.60*||Thursday Evenings / 12 weeks|
|Term IX (fall)||CEU 925-Coyne 1st Aid/CPR for Trades||8 CEU's||25.00*||One Friday or Saturday Class Annually|
|Term X (winter)||APR 222: Hazardous Locations||3||313.60*||Thursday Evenings / 11 weeks|
|Term XI (spring)||APR 223: Motor Control Operations Including PLC’s||3||313.60*||Thursday Evenings / 11 weeks|
|Term XII (summer)||Elective - See Approved Elective List||varies||varies||varies|
|Term XIII (fall)||APR 224: Electrical Code - Level I||4||411.80*||Wednesday Evenings / 12 weeks|
|Term XIII (fall)||CEU 925-Coyne 1st Aid/CPR for Trades||8 CEU's||25.00*||One Friday or Saturday Class Annually|
|Term XIV (winter)||APR 225: Electrical Code - Level II||4||411.80*||Wednesday Evenings / 11 weeks|
|Term XV (spring)||APR 226: Electrical Code - Level III||4||411.80*||Wednesday Evenings / 11 weeks|
|Term XVI (summer)||Elective - See Approved Elective List||varies||varies||varies|
* Class prices are for the 2015-2016 year and subject to change. Textbooks and materials are not included in this list.
Current/upcoming term Apprenticeship class schedules are available on the PCC website.
Please note: To qualify for "re-rate" each apprentice must complete one (1) elective in each calendar year in addition to the core courses for that year. Report same on MPR’s and submit transcript of grade upon completion. This is necessary to satisfy the requirement of Art. 6 - Related Training Program Standards. The committee strongly recommends consultation with the supervising electrician in choosing the course.
Training Agent Approval Process
- New! Training Agent Registration Agreement (Also in MS Word)
- Must be printed on gray paper and submitted 10 days prior to a committee meeting.
- Complete Yellow Training Agent Application Form - Must be printed on yellow paper and submitted 10 days prior to a committee meeting.
- Training Agent Contact Update
- Apprenticeship Administration Fee Agreement Form
Apprentice Indenture Procedure
All items below must be submitted 10 days prior to a committee meeting.
- Apprenticeship Indenture Procedure Checklist
- Complete Apprentice Registration Agreement Form – this must be printed on white paper
- Submit a copy of your high school transcript
- Submit a copy of the journey person license
- Complete PCC Admission/Entrance Procedure (explained in detail below)
- Submit a copy of your PCC placement exam scores
- Complete online new student orientation
- Submit a signed Receipt of Policy Form
Mail or drop off completed paperwork to:
PCC – Swan Island Trades Center
Katrina Cloud – MS STC 108
6400 N Cutter Circle
Portland, OR 97217
PCC Admission/Entrance Procedure
- Apprentices can go to the Admissions webpage and fill out the online admission form.
- Wait about three days, then call Cascade Campus Testing Center at 971-722-5234 for a recording of when you can take the college placement exam. (For your convenience, there are other Testing Centers that may be more conveniently located where you may arrange your placement testing).
- Next, go back to the Orientation web page and complete the online new student orientation.
- Once these steps are completed the apprentice will be ready for class registration.
Registration and Grade Procedure
You may register for classes and print your grades using MyPCC. To gain access, go to www.pcc.edu, scroll to the upper right corner and click on the turquoise button labeled "MyPCC". If you need assistance logging in please call the student helpline at 971-722-8222. To reach the registration helpline call 971-722-8888.
Print off the following documents as needed:
- What to expect in your apprenticeship
- Apprenticeship Indenture Procedure Checklist
- Apprenticeship Administrative Fee Agreement form
- Things you should know
- Approved electives list
- How to request an elective that is not on the approved elective list
- Training Agent Application Form
- Must be printed on yellow paper and submitted 10 days prior to a committee meeting.
- Contact Update – Training Agent for address, email or phone number or contact updates
- Apprenticeship Registration Agreement
- Must be printed on white paper and must be submitted with transcripts 10 days prior to a committee meeting.
- Contact Update – Apprentice for address, email or phone number updates
- Apprenticeship Data Sheet
- Release of Interest Form
- Monthly Progress Report (MPR)
- Here's a generic monthly progress report example.
- On each and every report you must include:
- The Month and Year
- Employer (supervisor) signature; related training class title and instructor signature
- A ‘running’ or ‘cumulative’ total of all OJT hours in the lower right block of the grid.
- If you have taken an approved elective, indicate the course and hours in the lower right-hand block on your MPR. Get elective instructors signature.
- You are to complete MPR’s once each month whether you are working or not
- Keep a copy of each month’s MPR for your records and next month’s reference
- If you have been given ‘credit’ by the committee, add the hours on you next MWPR
- If you miss a class you must submit an Apprentice Absence Form
- Apprentices are required to submit a paper copy MPR and an electronic copy MPR:
- Properly completed MPR’s are due by the 10th of each month!! Use black ink and print legibly.
- Apprentice Absence Documentation
- MPE Policy Document (Receipt of Policy Form is on the last page of MPE Policy Document)
- MPE Standards of Apprenticeship
- Affirmative Action Plan
- Advancement Request – MPE
- Experience Documentation – MPE