Course Content and Outcome Guide for PL 222
- Course Number:
- PL 222
- Course Title:
- Corporate Law Practice
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers most significant state corporation law, how to assist in preparation and filing of documents necessary to form a corporation, how to draft resolutions for corporate shareholders and directors' meetings, and how to pay dividends to shareholders or to terminate business and distribute property. Audit available.
Addendum to Course DescriptionAn elective course satisfying the requirements for either a Legal Assistant Certificate or an Associate of Applied Science degree.
Course Activities and DesignClass format is lecture with discussion.
Outcome Assessment StrategiesStudents grades will be based upon attendance, quiz, mid-term and final exam grades.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)Identify and analyze legal forms of business entities in order to
allow clients to choose whether corporate or other form is one
best suited to their needs.
* Prepare and file documents necessary to legal formation of
corporation in Oregon.
* Identify different types of "corporate players" --promoters,
directors, officers, etc.--and understand their differing roles,
rights and duties within corporate structure.
* Analyze and brief case dealing with corporations problems.
* Understand the peculiar relation of the corporation to its nominal
owners--the shareholders, their rights, duties, and possible
* Understand dis/advantages of different methods of corporate
financing and draft documents to comply with State and Federal
Securities Regulations and other applicable law.
* Understand differing relationships between corporation and its
employees, agents and contractors, draft legally appropriate
documents to create/define role and compensate actors.
* Draft legally appropriate documents for corporate bankruptcy,
reorganization and dissolution.
* Understand tax considerations, consequences and motivations for
all of the above, draft appropriate filings to take advantage