Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 288
- Course Number:
- PE 288
- Course Title:
- Professional Activities: Team Sports Training
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExplores fitness instruction and leadership in team sports. Covers components of coaching team sports and skill-related physical fitness such as: progressions and techniques of practice format, sport specific drills, plyometrics, speedagility- quickness coaching strategies and methodology. Required: Current Fitness Technology Student or instructor approval. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
A. Design and implement a team sport practice session for healthy populations.
B. Observe and evaluate coaching styles, including coaching objectives and philosophy.
C. Apply current research and industry standards to programs that develop skill-related health and fitness in athletes.
D. Utilize and enhance team sports programming and teaching strategies learned through critical analysis of professionals in the industry.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Evaluation of team sport practice session
- Administration and interpretation of skill related physical fitness assessments
- Sport specific drill critique
- Written assignments and exams
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Principles of Coaching: Philosophy and Style of coaching
- Principles of Behavior: Communication, Motivation, Managing
- Sport specific warm-up and cool-down
- Heart rate and RPE
- Sport specific practice sessions (appropriate to fitness and team goals)
- Team sport lesson plan design
- Team sport equipment and safety concerns
- Skill-related physical fitness component assessment and interpretation
- Plyometric progression
- Speed, Agility, Quickness progression
- Periodization of training for team sports