Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 250
- Course Number:
- PE 250
- Course Title:
- Introduction to Outdoor Leadership
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExplores the field of and skills utilized in outdoor leadership and recreation. Provides an overview of the outdoor recreation field; applied decision making skills, group dynamics, trip planning, first aid, navigation and environmental concerns (such as "Leave No Trace" principles and practices) will be addressed. Includes a required backpacking/camping trip in order to apply learned skills in a real-time environment. Some experience in camping and backcountry travels recommended but not required. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Participants are required to provide basic camping equipment for the planned trip.
Students must provide their own transportation to camping sites.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
- ? Apply learned skills necessary for personal and professional outdoor recreation activities and travels.
- Lead groups in backcountry environments.
- Plan and practice safe camping and backpacking outings.
- Take a personal role in preserving the outdoor experience for future generations following Leave No Trace principles
- Improve overall physical conditioning through participation in backpacking and backcountry travels; including but not limited to improvements in cardio-respiratory fitness, muscle fitness, and flexibility.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Group Project
- Field Trip Lab
- Quizzes and Exams
- Outside of class observations and reports
- Class participation
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Varied Leadership styles
- Personal awareness
- Trip planning
- Learning to lead participants
- Decision making skills & risk management
- Attributes of an effective outdoor leader
- Group management
- Communication skills
- Expedition behavior
- Emergency procedures & basic first aid and safety
- Leave No Trace principles & practices