- Course Number:
- PE 183E
- Course Title:
- Beginning Tennis
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces the game of tennis at a beginning level. Covers basic skills that relate to the serve, ground strokes, and the volley. Includes basic history, terminology, etiquette, strategy, and scoring of game. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Includes demonstration and drills to improve student's agility, reaction time, endurance and basic skills with focus on tennis etiquette, rules, and playing strategy.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Demonstrate basic tennis skills.
- Realize the fitness benefits of tennis as a lifelong sport.
- Apply the rules, etiquette, and scoring of tennis during game play.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Skills assessment
- Written exam
- Performance appraisal
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Tennis history, rules, etiquette, and equipment
- Basic skill development and progression
- Community availability of tennis facilities and programs
- Single/Doubles playing strategies
- Health benefits of tennis as a life long sport
- Perform conditioning drills
- Practice warm-up and cool down exercises
- Selection of appropriate equipment for personal use
- Play in accordance with tennis rules