- Course Number:
- PE 162M
- Course Title:
- Mixed Martial Arts Conditioning
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces high-intensity mixed martial arts (MMA) group exercise focusing on challenging the body in a dynamic and energetic fashion. Includes a variety of activities and exercises in challenging conditions unique to MMA. Utilizes resistance, balance, and compounded motions to improve overall fitness to help optimize athletic performance while minimizing potential injury when performing mixed martial arts activities. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Each student supplies his/her own clothing. Clothing should be loose and comfortable fitting for exercise. Shoes are mandatory and should be designed for aerobic/cardiorespiratory exercise. General class format includes a warm-up, various conditioning segments (cardiorespiratory, muscular endurance and strength, & flexibility), and skills training.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Utilize improved physical conditioning (muscle and cardiorespiratory endurance, strength, flexibility, and body composition), while performing mixed martial art activities.
- Develop a lifelong fitness, health, and wellness program that incorporates MMA.
- Apply MMA moves, strategies, and techniques in MMA activities.
- Experience the relationship of the mind, body and spirit.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Active participation and effort
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Warm-ups and cool-downs
Conditioning, stretching, and endurance exercises
Body mechanics and alignment development
Application of conditioning benefits
Discuss of the various forms of martial arts; Tae Kwon Do, Judo, Karate, Aikido, Boxing, Brazilian Jujitsu, etc.
Principles of cardiorespiratory, muscle, interval, and flexibility training