Course Content and Outcome Guide for OMT 250 Effective Winter 2016
- Course Number:
- OMT 250
- Course Title:
- Ophthalmic Imaging
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces the common forms of ophthalmic imaging (CT, MRI, CCT, HRT, and wave front), ophthalmic photography (external and fundus), and fluorescein angiography. Prerequisites: WR 115, RD 115 and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores.
Intended Outcomes for the course
1. Apply knowledge of ophthalmic imaging to use of diagnostic laser testing equipment in the clinic setting.
2. Use photographic principles to support clinical training and use of ophthalmic imaging.
Course Activities and Design
This course will be presented by means of lecture/discussion, audio/visual presentations, handouts and demonstrations. Guest speakers and field trips may be used to enhance mastery of course goals and student learning.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
At the beginning of the course the instructor will detail the methods used to evaluate student progress and criteria for assigning a course grade. These may include examinations, quizzes, homework assignments, research papers, and student participation during class sessions.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
1. Identify terms and definitions of basic photography including:
a. Film vs. digital
c. Focal length
d. Depth of field
f. Beam splitters
k. Astigmatic correction
2. List steps required to perform fundus photography.
3. Identify photographic defects/artifacts.
4. Describe the relationship between shutter speed, aperture number and
5. Define the relationship between ISO/ASA film rating and film sensitivity.
6. Differentiate digital, fluorescein and indocyanine green angiograms.
7. List major indications for fluorescein angiography.
8. List contraindications to angiography.
9. List both mild and major reactions to fluorescein injection.
10. List treatments for adverse reactions to fluorescein.
11. Slit lamp photography
12. Anterior segment photography
13. External photography
15. Corneal topography
16. Scanning laser tests for glaucoma:
a. HRT, GDX
17. Endothelial cell counts