- Course Number:
- MUS 158A
- Course Title:
- Chamber Ensemble
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides an opportunity for instrumentalists to practice and perform. Includes conducted and coached rehearsals for public performance. Covers performance practice and repertory for chamber orchestra and small ensembles. Requires the ability to read music. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Instructor should assign repertoire according to individual abilities and available instrumentation. Works will be selected from the standard classical and jazz repertoire.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Use an understanding of elementary musicianship and performance etiquette to publicly perform basic repertory as a member of an instrumental ensemble.
- Use an understanding of elementary music literacy to individually prepare and rehearse basic repertory as a member of an instrumental ensemble.
- Use an understanding of elementary rehearsal techniques and etiquette to follow a conductor, annotate music, and be a contributing member of an instrumental ensemble during rehearsal.
- Use an understanding of stylistic differences in basic repertory to accurately interpret instrumental music in performance.
- Use an elementary understanding of their primary instrument to continue to improve as a performer of music.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Methods used to evaluate student progress and the criteria for assigning a course letter grade should be made clear by the instructor at the beginning of the course. The individual instructor will determine the method of assessment. Assessment methods may include:
Successful knowledge and execution of individual part(s)
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Instrumental repertoire from the renaissance to the modern era
- Vocal repertoire from the renaissance to the modern era
- Stylistic concerns in musical interpretation
- Performance etiquette
COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
The following skills are expected to successfully meet the minimum requirement of "C" of "Pass" for the course.
- Learn individual part(s) from printed music score.
- Execute stylistic practices according to repertoire.
- Work with other musicians to prepare and perform musical works.