Course Content and Outcome Guide for MTH 213
- Course Number:
- MTH 213
- Course Title:
- Foundations of Elem Math III
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionSurveys mathematical topics for those interested in the presentation of mathematics at the K-9 levels. Various manipulatives and problem solving approaches are used to explore informal geometry, transformational geometry, and measurement systems. Prerequisite: MTH 211 and its prerequisite requirements. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This is the third term of a three-term sequence (MTH 211, 212, and 213).
Foundations of Elementary Math III is intended to examine geometric concepts and provide students with manipulatives to model problem solving, explore patterns and relationships among geometric figures, and develop spatial concepts. The content and pedagogy is based on the NCTM standards. Emphasis is on why mathematics works as it does rather than on memorization of algorithms.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
• Understand the theoretical foundations of mathematics focusing on geometric principles as taught at the K-9 level in order to develop
mathematical knowledge for teaching.
• Use various problem solving strategies and geometrical reasoning to create mathematical models, analyze real world scenarios, judge if the results are
reasonable, and then interpret and clearly communicate the results.
• Participate in a teacher education program.
• Use appropriate mathematics, including correct mathematical terminology, notation, and symbolic processes, and use technology to explore the foundations of elementary mathematics.
Course Activities and Design
In-class time is primarily activity/discussion or lecture/lab emphasizing the use of manipulatives and problem solving techniques. Activities will include group work, field experience, or teaching demonstrations.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)