Course Content and Outcome Guide for LAT 240
- Course Number:
- LAT 240
- Course Title:
- Tree Care-Spring
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionPrinciples and practices of modern arboriculture (tree care). Plant growth regulators, fertilization, tree appraisals, construction protection, hazard tree management and pruning. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This course if designed to give the student a practical, but partial background in modern arboriculture. Students will learn through outdoor labs how to prune, fertilize, and cable trees, in addition to tree appraising, hazard tree evaluation, and construction protection.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Understand how to pruning affects tree growth and health.
- Identify pruning techniques and systems.
- Understand the interaction between soils, fertilization, and trees.
- Understand the factors involved in tree appraisal and hazard tree evaluation.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written mid-term and final exams
- End of term written project or oral presentation
- Performance competencies
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Plant Growth Regulators
- Tree Appraisal
- Cabling and Bracing
- Construction Protection
- Hazard Tree Management