- Course Number:
- HIM 285
- Course Title:
- Healthcare Financing and Compliance
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces the essential components of financing and compliance in healthcare facilities. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Identify potential abuse or fraudulent trends through data analysis.
- Adhere to the legal and regulatory requirements related to health information management.
- Validate the accuracy of diagnostic and procedural groupings.
- Apply policies and procedures to the use of data required in healthcare reimbursement.
- Evaluate the revenue cycle management processes.
- Analyze current regulations and established guidelines in clinical classification systems.
- Comply with ethical standards within the HIM field.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students:
- Answer theoretical and application questions on information covered in the lecture, graded assignments and reading assignments.
- Complete a billing audit of documentation against charges.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
To complete the outcomes the student must have skills and knowledge in:
- communication techniques
- information technologies
- health record content
- state, federal, and accreditation documentation requirements
- healthcare facility organization
- critical thinking
- classification systems
- data quality attributes
- data security
- health record analysis
- medical vocabularies
- data collection tools