Course Content and Outcome Guide for HIM 285 Effective Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- HIM 285
- Course Title:
- Healthcare Financing and Compliance
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides an understanding of the essential components of financing and compliance in health care facilities. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Support accurate billing through coding, chargemaster, and bill reconciliation processes.
- Apply privacy, confidentiality, and security requirements.
- Monitor health records for compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Apply state and federal compliance requirements.
- Explain the concept of managed care and the different types of managed care.
- Understand the purpose of fee schedules, chargemasters, and auditing.
- Monitor health records for documentation to support medical necessity as required by Medicare and other payers.
- Participate in facility education programs on health information management compliance issues.
- Understand OIG fraud and abuse reporting and investigation.
- Follow the AHIMA standards of ethical coding .
- Explain the purpose of case mix.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students:
- Answer theoretical and application questions on information covered in the lecture, graded assignments and reading assignments.
- Complete a billing audit of documentation against charges.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
To complete the outcomes the student must have skills and knowledge in:
- communication techniques
- information technologies
- health record content
- state, federal, and accreditation documentation requirements
- healthcare facility organization
- critical thinking
- classification systems
- data quality attributes
- data security
- health record analysis
- medical vocabularies
- data collection tools