Course Content and Outcome Guide for HIM 285
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- HIM 285
- Course Title:
- HC Financing & Compliance
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides an understanding of the essential components of financing and compliance in health care facilities.
Intended Outcomes for the courseStudents who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Support accurate billing through coding, chargemaster, and bill reconciliation processes.
- Apply privacy, confidentiality, and security requirements.
- Monitor health records for compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Apply state and federal compliance requirements.
- Explain the concept of managed care and the different types of managed care.
- Understand the purpose of fee schedules, chargemasters, and auditing.
- Monitor health records for documentation to support medical necessity as required by Medicare and other payers.
- Participate in facility education programs on health information management compliance issues.
- Understand OIG fraud and abuse reporting and investigation.
- Follow the AHIMA standards of ethical coding .
- Explain the purpose of case mix.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students:
- Answer theoretical and application questions on information covered in the lecture, graded assignments and reading assignments.
- Complete a billing audit of documentation against charges.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)To complete the outcomes the student must have skills and knowledge in:
- communication techniques
- information technologies
- health record content
- state, federal, and accreditation documentation requirements
- healthcare facility organization
- critical thinking
- classification systems
- data quality attributes
- data security
- health record analysis
- medical vocabularies
- data collection tools