Course Content and Outcome Guide for HIM 275
- Course Number:
- HIM 275
- Course Title:
- CPT Coding
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces coding and classification systems for outpatient procedures and ambulatory care facilities. Prerequisite: HIM 105, 107, 110, 120, 131, 182, MP 111, and (BI 122 or BI 233 or HIM 129). Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Apply the usage of coding and classification systems in physician offices, medical clinics and outpatient care facilities including outpatient surgery centers.
- Correctly assign CPT codes and E/M level of service codes to physician office and medical clinic encounters.
- Correctly assign CPT codes to outpatient surgeries.
- Apply ethical coding guidelines to ensure proper reimbursement for services.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Answering theoretical and application questions on information covered in the lecture, graded assignments and reading assignments.
- Code case studies from physician offices, medical clinics, and outpatient operative reports.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
To complete the outcomes the student must have skills and knowledge in:
- medical terminology
- basic anatomy and physiology