- Course Number:
- HIM 270
- Course Title:
- ICD Procedure Coding
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers classification of procedures utilizing the current ICD coding system. Prerequisites: HIM 105, HIM 107 and (HIM 128 and HIM 129) or (BI 121 and BI 122) or (BI 231, BI 232 and BI 233) or equivalent. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Apply inpatient procedure codes following current guidelines.
- Identify accuracy of procedural coding in a patient's health record
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with outer students:
- Answer theoretical and application questions on information covered in the lecture, graded assignments and reading assignments.
- Demonstrate ability to accurately code procedural statements using proper coding conventions and rules.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
To complete the outcomes in this course students must have skills in:
- Health record content
- Anatomy and physiology
- Medical laboratory tests and imaging procedures
- Reimbursement systems
- Federal and state regulations for health records
- Joint Commission documentation standards
- Medical terminology