Course Content and Outcome Guide for HIM 270
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- HIM 270
- Course Title:
- ICD-10-CM Basic Coding
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers classification of diseases and current reimbursement systems utilizing ICD-10-CM. Prerequisite: HIM 131. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students should be able to:
- Accurately assign ICD-10-CM or ICD-9-CM codes as appropriate in a variety of settings (i.e., hospital, clinic, inpatient, outpatient, etc.)
- Ensure compliance with coding updates.
- Code according to licensure and accrediting rules.
- Accurately code following coding convention and rules as they apply to ICD-10-CM and ICD-9-CM coding classification systems.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with outer students:
- Answer theoretical and application questions on information covered in the lecture, graded assignments and reading assignments.
- Demonstrate ability to accurately code diagnostic and procedural statements using proper coding conventions and rules.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
To complete the outcomes in this course students must have skills in:
- Health record content
- Anatomy and physiology
- Medical laboratory tests and imaging procedures
- Reimbursement systems
- Federal and state regulations for health records
- JCAHO documentation standards
- Medical terminology