Course Content and Outcome Guide for HIM 121 Effective Fall 2015
- Course Number:
- HIM 121
- Course Title:
- Legal and Ethical Aspects of Healthcare
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionOverview of the legal system and the legal principles that govern the delivery of healthcare. Covers patient confidentiality and the disclosure of patient information. Discusses codes of ethics and bioethical issues facing today's healthcare professionals. English communication skills necessary. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Apply applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations to the health care environment.
- Apply Center for Medicare Services(CMS) rules and regulations to the health care environment.
- Release patient-specific data to authorized users and request patient-specific information from other sources.
- Apply legal requirements of acceptable methods for complete and timely documentation and authentication of entries to the medical record.
- Maintain the ethical tenets of a healthcare professional and act in an ethical manner.
- Maintain an awareness and understanding of federal and state health care legislation and regulations.
- Understand the legal ramifications of bioethical issues
- Apply contract law to the treatment of patients.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate these learning outcomes by these tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students:
Answering theoretical and application questions on information covered in the lecture, graded assignments and reading assignments.
Determining how to handle case studies on patient confidentiality and release of patient information.
Locating and reporting on current legal issues in the delivery of healthcare.