- Course Number:
- FT 201
- Course Title:
- Advanced Fitness Assessment and Prescription
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExplores the needs and abilities of individuals outside of ACSM's guidelines for apparently healthy populations. Focuses on modification of movement, exercise, equipment, and assessments for these individuals and groups. Includes advanced testing procedures, modification of assessments, and modified exercise programming for these individuals and groups. Prerequisites: FT 105. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students will be able to:
- Develop, modify, and implement appropriate fitness assessments for special populations.
- Interpret fitness assessment data for special populations using published normative charts, other standardized interpretation methods, and personal evaluations.
- Develop individualized fitness programs for special populations following established guidelines and protocols.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written Quizzes/Exams
- Case Studies
- Practical Exams
- Written Programming Projects
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
ACSM Guidelines for advanced testing procedures
Modifications needed for special populations (safe and successful fitness programs and assessments)
Guidelines for exercise testing/assessing special populations
Programming for special populations:
Basic principles for exercise program design
Cardiovascular exercise programming
Muscular strength and endurance programming
Flexibility & Balance programming