Course Content and Outcome Guide for EET 272
- Course Number:
- EET 272
- Course Title:
- Motors and Motor Controls
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers operating principles, characteristics, and control of AC and DC motors and generators. Explores single-phase, split-phase, and three phase AC motors, Series and Shunt DC motors, and stepper motors. Implements basic motor control circuits using discrete and programmable control components. Prerequisites: EET 221. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Students will measure the operating characteristics of motors and generators in the associated laboratory.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion students will be able to:
1. Operate and construct circuits involving AC and DC motors, generators, and motor controls.
2. Measure the performance of AC and DC motors, generators, and control circuits.
3. Locate and repair faults in AC and DC motors, generators and control circuits.
Course Activities and Design
Concepts and theories presented in class are demonstrated in the laboratory. Lab experiments are synchronized with the lectures.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessment methods may include midterm and final exams, homework, lab evaluations, and projects. The assessments will focus on students abilities to:
- Describe basic motor operation. What makes a motor go faster or produce more power?
- Describe correct operation of motor control circuits.
- Build motor control circuits
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
DC motor applications, types, components, and theory of operation. Series, shunt, and compound motors. Speed, direction, and breaking control. AC motor applications, types, components, and theory of operation. Single phase induction motors, slit phase motors, and three phase motors. AC motor drives DC generators, applications, types, components, and theory of operation. AC generators, applications, types, components, and theory of operation. Control devices including switches, contactors, and/or relays..