Course Content and Outcome Guide for ECE 131B
- Course Number:
- ECE 131B
- Course Title:
- Practicum for Exp Teachers 2
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionImproves and strengthens basic intermediate level skills for working with children ages birth-5 in a group setting at work sites. Includes the use of developmentally appropriate methods to support guidance and conflict resolution; schedule and routine planning; fundamental curriculum development; and environmental modification. Department permission required based on work experience and previouscoursework. Prerequisites: ECE 131A, ECE 122. Corequisite: ECE 130B.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion, students should be able to:
- Use an understanding of childrens characteristics and needs from birth through age 5, in order to provide appropriate care and education.
- Respond to children using an understanding of diverse family and community characteristics.
- Use appropriate observation, documentation, and other assessment tools and approaches to support the development of children.
Course Activities and Design
Actively participate in seminar discussions and activities.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Review collected materials for a professional portfolio documenting achievement of the NAEYC Standards for Initial Professional Preparation.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Integrating knowledge of child development and learning;
- Family and community relationships;
- Observation, documentation, and assessment;
- Developmentally effective approaches;
- The use of content to build meaningful curriculum;