Course Content and Outcome Guide for ECE 121
- Course Number:
- ECE 121
- Course Title:
- Observation & Guidance I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionFocuses on age-appropriate guidance and observations techniques for individual children six week to six years. Topics include the ongoing dynamics of relationships, how values and belief systems impact guidance decisions, and the linkages between observation and guidance plans for individual children. Audit available.
Addendum to Course DescriptionObservation and Guidance I will include basic observation and guidance techniques for individual children (infancy six years). This course puts more emphasis on guidance techniques and the personal value and belief systems that underlie their usage, but also provides students with some basic observational tools (running records, anecdotals) that can be used in identifying, evaluating, and developing guidance strategies.
- Identifies, individually and collaboratively, guidance techniques for individual children based on proven theory and practices.
- Recognizes environmental, developmental, and cultural factors that impact childrens behaviors.
- Identifies the skills and strategies needed for make accurate observations of individual children based on child development principles.
- Explains the connection between observations and appropriate guidance, management, and planning for individual children.
- Articulates the role of observation in communicating with parents and professionals.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Participate in weekly large and small group discussions.
- Complete required observation and guidance assignments and personal reflection statements.
- Complete service learning hours or book/article reports.
- Complete a case study of a child (age 0 6) using observation techniques covered in class.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Observer objectivity.
- Running Records.
- Relationships between development and guidance
- A Pro-Social Environment
- Positive Communication
- Positive Action
- Praise vs. encouragement
- Effective guidance.