Course Content and Outcome Guide for DH 250 Effective Summer 2015
- Course Number:
- DH 250
- Course Title:
- Research Methods and Issues in Oral Health
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduction to epidemiological studies and basic statistics in preparation to critically evaluate evidence-based research of oral health.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Differentiate between peer-reviewed and non-peer-reviewed literature.
- Use statistical concepts to interpret epidemiologic research.
- Analyze and determine validity of current research related to oral health issues.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- QuizzesMidterm Exam
- In Class and Online Continuing Education Assignments
- Evaluate a research article, identify the validity and provide a written report.
- Comprehensive final examination
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Epidemiology for oral health
- Current research
- Statistical analysis of research data
- Explore dental indices and identify effectiveness of each
Skills and Competencies
- Explain how epidemiological studies and research, especially as it relates to oral disease in a population, affects society and the dental profession.
- Describe a variety of methods of surveying and calculating the caries and periodontal disease status for various populations.
- Define statistical terminology and discuss how it applies to research.
- Discuss the importance of evidence-based research and implementation for the future of the dental hygiene profession.