- Course Number:
- DA 112
- Course Title:
- Clinical Procedures II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntermediate clinical dental assisting with instruction in oral examination, charting and other procedures. PREREQ: DA 110.
Addendum to Course Description
Prerequisite: satisfactory completion DA 110 or equivalent.
Intended Outcomes for the course
1. Describe the dental assistants role during oral surgery, hospital dentistry, implant surgery, periodontic and endodontic procedures with safety and professionalism.
2. Describe the various dental specialities.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
1. Complete textbook and workbook assignments
2. Complete written quizzes, midterm and final examinations at 70% or better.
3. Maintain attendance at 70% or more of the class sessions.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- oral surgery procedures and Instrumentation
- suture preparation, placement and removal
- Alveoloitis (dry socket) prevention and treatment
- Endodontic treatment for pulpotomys and pulpectomys
- periodontic treatment and maintenance
- implantology; indications, contraindications, placement and results
- Temporal Mandibular Joint Disorder prevention and treatment
Concepts, Themes and Issues:
Dental assisting duties, professionalism, teamwork, communication, efficiency in four-handed dentistry, armamentarium, health and safety, record keeping, time management, organization, patient management.
1. Describe the importance of the monitoring of vital signs prior to patient treatment.
2. Describe the procedures and preparations and follow-up necessary for a successful complex dental extraction.
3. Describe the procedure and identify the instruments used to place and remove sutures.
4. Discuss the condition known as post-operative alveolar osteitis and identify treatment modalities for this condition.
5. Describe the causes and treatment of irreversible pulpal infections and discuss the role of the dental assistant in endodontic procedures.
6. Discuss basic periodontal maintenance procedures and describe the role of dental assistant in the treatment of periodontal patients.