- Course Number:
- DA 112
- Course Title:
- Clinical Procedures II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionCovers intermediate concepts of the clinical aspect of dental assisting duties and responsibilities. Includes an introduction in dental specialties. Prerequisites/concurrent: DA 113, DA 122, DA 123, DA 132, DA 142, and DA 150.
Addendum to Course Description
Emphasis in periodontics, endodontics, and oral surgery. Included are instruments, materials, procedures and treatments with an emphasis on the dental assistant's role in each specialty. In addition, emphasis will be placed on TMJD treatments and the placement and restoration of implants.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Identify the various dental specialties recognized by the American Dental Association.
- Examine the various roles of auxiliary personnel as they relate to various dental specialties, therapies, and treatments.
- Recognize the procedural steps, armamentarium, instrumentation, and post-operative instructions for various dental specialties, therapies, and treatments.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Complete textbook and classroom assignments.
- Demonstrate understanding though the completion of quizzes and a final examination.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Dental Assisting Clinical Duties
- American Dental Association
- Periodontic procedures and maintenance
- Endodontic procedures
- Oral surgery procedures
- Implantology procedures
- TMJD prevention and treatments
- Legal dental assisting duties pertaining to dental specialties
- Dental specialty procedural steps
- Dental specialty instruments and armamentarium
- Dental specialty post operative instruction
- Time management
- Name and explain each dental specialty recognized by the ADA
- Identify the importance of the dental assistant's role during dental specialty procedures
- Recognize the steps in suture preparation, placement, and removal
- Explain the procedural steps of each dental specialty
- Identify dental specialty instruments
- List dental specialty post operative instructions
- Explain alveolitis including prevention and treatment