Course Content and Outcome Guide for CG 114 Effective Summer 2015
- Course Number:
- CG 114
- Course Title:
- Financial Survival for College Students
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides basic information and strategies to empower individuals to make positive decisions about funding their education and establishing control over their financial lives, leading to financial independence and reduced life stress. Introduces: funding college, budgeting, wise use of credit, controlling debt, basic financial planning, effective financial decision making, and avoiding financial mistakes and pitfalls. CG 114 and BA 114 are equivalent. Only one may be taken for credit. Prerequisites: WR 90, RD 90, and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
As a result of having participated in this class students will:
- Implement a financial plan to pay for college while maximizing resources and minimizing borrowing.
- Maintain short, medium and long-term financial goals while adhering to a spending plan.
- Make informed financial decisions to avoid unnecessary financial risks and establish a strong credit portfolio.
Course Activities and Design
Teaching modalities include: lectures; PowerPoint presentations; Internet sites; individual student assignments exploring multiple aspects of personal, college and post-college finances. Class discussions; case study analyses; and student projects/assignments/presentations.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessments may address the learning outcomes by means of the following:
- Written reflection on key course concepts
- Weekly quizzes
- Final personal presentation demonstrating an understanding of the course content, and a personal financial plan
- Portfolio of learning
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Content themes include: ?
- Understanding financial information ?
- Financial planning for college and career ?
- Effective financial decision making
- Funding college
- Wise use of credit
- Debt control
- Basic financial planning
- Ethical personal and financial conduct
- Resolve credit problems
Skills include: ?
- Locate financial information utilizing the Internet ?
- Calculate interest rates and re-payment amounts ?
- Evaluate various types of credit, credit costs, and ways to utilize credit advantageously ?
- Manage personal credit information and credit rating/scores
- Create a spending plan