Course Content and Outcome Guide for CG 111C
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- CG 111C
- Course Title:
- Study Skills for Coll Learning
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionStudy Skills for College Learning Introduces information and techniques in notetaking, textbook reading, and taking exams. Develop a study schedule. Prerequisites: Placement into WR 115 and RD 115
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Create a study schedule.
- Apply a notetaking method.
- Identify a textbook reading strategy.
- Identify test-taking strategies.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Students will demonstrate the learning outcomes by the following tasks conducted individually and in cooperation with other students:
- Demonstrate test-taking techniques.
- Describe SQ3R or preferred reading-study method.
- Produce a personal study schedule.
- Describe a notetaking method.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Competencies and Skills
Assessments may include individual or group projects or group presentations, case studies, reports, journals, and quizzes, such as:
- Textbook reading skills.
- Notetaking skills
- Test-taking skills
- Creating a study schedule
Concepts, Themes, Issues
- Memory-enhancing strategies
- Reading strategies, e.g., SQ3R
- Notetaking methods: Cornell, mind-mapping
- Testing and types of tests
- Test anxiety
- Study schedule
- Term calendar