Course Content and Outcome Guide for CG 111C Effective Winter 2016
- Course Number:
- CG 111C
- Course Title:
- Study Skills for College Learning
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionProvides information and techniques in note taking, textbook reading, taking exams, and developing a study schedule. Prerequisites: Placement into WR 115 and RD 115. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Students who successfully complete this course will be able to:
- Apply a note taking method.
- Employ a textbook reading strategy for college learning.
- Implement test taking strategies.
- Utilize time management techniques to create a study schedule.
Course Activities and Design
Teaching modalities may include: lectures; PowerPoint presentations; Internet sites; individual student assignments exploring multiple aspects of study skills. May also include class discussions; case study analyses, students projects and presentations.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Assessments may address the learning outcomes by means of the following:
- Written reflection and/or presentation on key course concepts.
- Practice specific techniques, track effectiveness, and revise to meet personal/educational goals.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Essential study strategies for college learning
- Note taking
- College reading
- Test taking
- Study Schedule
- Test Anxiety
- Determining key concepts
- Take effective notes
- Read for comprehension and retention
- Evaluate various types of tests and select appropriate test taking technique
- Develop a personalized study schedule