Course Content and Outcome Guide for BCT 229
- Course Number:
- BCT 229
- Course Title:
- Intro to Kitchens and Baths
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExplores the history and trends of the kitchen and bath industry. Focuses on basic kitchen & bath layouts and specification of specialized equipment, materials and surfaces required for safe and functional kitchens & baths. Products include cabinet systems, appliances, equipment and surfacing materials. Students will complete basic kitchen and bath designs based on case studies. Prerequisite: ARCH 110 or instructor approval. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Specify kitchen and bath cabinetry, appliances, fixtures and equipment appropriate for customer needs, design space requirements, energy efficiency and environmental impact.
- Read and interpret product specifications for design information.
- Produce industry standard working drawings for kitchens and baths
- Conduct needs assessment for prospective customers
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Students will develop an on-line web Resource folder including cabinet, appliance, plumbing fixture, fittings, equipment and hardware product catalogs.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to locate and interpret appliances and fixture specifications.
- Students will design and graphically present a single wall, L shaped and U shaped kitchen.
- Students will select a countertop surface and draw a detail showing how it is installed and its relationship to cabinetry components.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, issues and concepts:
- Kitchen and bath trends
- Demographic and population trends
- Kitchen and bath storage systems
- Kitchen and bath configurations
- Graphic standards
- Cabinet types and manufacturing systems
- Standard cabinet nomenclature
- Cabinet sizes & configuration
- Mechanical plans
- Appliance types and planning considerations
- Kitchen and bath fixture design and planning consideration
- Kitchen and bath fittings materials and engineering
- Surfacing materials
- Research, including internet resources
- Verbal communications
- Written communications
- Graphic (drafting) communications
- Critical thinking