Course Content and Outcome Guide for BCT 134
- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- BCT 134
- Course Title:
- Construction Scheduling
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces methods used in planning and scheduling construction projects. Emphasizes the development and proper use of construction schedules, Critical path methods and resource and cost loading. Introduces MS Project computer scheduling software to build and monitor schedules. Recommended: Basic knowledge of Microsoft Windows. Prerequisite: BCT 104 or Instructor permission. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Assemble and use various construction schedules to manage a construction project.
- Prioritize scheduled tasks in order to streamline planning strategies, shorten overall construction schedules, and reduce costs.
- Communicate effectively with team members by recognizing and utilizing best practices for planning and scheduling of construction tasks.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
B. Develop an activity list with durations.
C. Develop and sketch logic diagrams.
D. Compute and sketch a CPM (Critical Path Method) diagram.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Purpose of Benefits of Scheduling
- Time Management and Resource Planning
- Natural Activity Logic and Sequence
- Scheduling Terminology
- Types of Schedules
- Scheduling Planning
- Scheduling Monitoring and Management
- Scheduling Reporting
- Resource Loading
- Critical Path Method
- Computer Scheduling Software
- Team Building and Collaboration
1. Identify the levels of scheduling
2. Identify and develop Work Breakdown Structures (WBS)
3. Identify and develop activity list
4. Develop and assign duration to activities
5. Identify and develop bar charts
6. Identify, develop and sketch arrow network logic diagrams
7. Identify, develop and sketch precedence network diagrams
8. Identify, develop and sketch time-scaled network diagrams
9. Identify, develop, compute and manually sketch a CPM schedule
10. Develop a baseline schedule
11. Add labor and cost resources to a baseline schedule
12. Update a CPM baseline schedule
13. Analyze and adjust scheduling problems
14. Develop and print various scheduling reports
15. Work on "Microsoft Project" software to develop baseline, resources, and update schedule
16. Work collaboratively with team member(s)