Course Content and Outcome Guide for AD 107
- Course Number:
- AD 107
- Course Title:
- Addiction Recovery Mentor
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionPresents an overview of Addiction Recovery Mentor skills, resources and evidence-based practices that have been demonstrated to contribute to successful Peer Mentor Programs. Prerequisites: WR 115, RD 115 and MTH 20 or equivalent placement test scores. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
At the conclusion of this course the student will be able to:
1. Provide culturally appropriate and trauma informed services to individuals in the process of recovery from addictive disease.
2. Use a person centered approach to create a partnership relationship with people in recovery.
3. Help formulate with the identified client strengths based recovery plans.
4. Meet the educational requirements as specified by the Department of Human Services Addictions and Mental Health Division that will allow the student to apply for the ACCBO Certified Peer Recovery Mentor.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
1. An assessment process that will extract information from lectures, readings and other multimedia presentations via a test of a basic understanding of the targeted concepts.
2. A project that requires the student to synthesize the course material into an appropriate referral including a treatment recommendation for a fictional gambling addicted subject.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
a. Listening Skills
b. Problem Solving
c. Relationship Building
2. Documentation appropriate to peer delivered services.
3. Education specific to peer population.
b. Personal Support System
c. Role of Peer Delivered Services
5. Law appropriate to Peer Delivered Services
a. Civil Rights
b. Fair Housing
c. Confidentiality including 42 CFR
e. Mandatory Reporting
f. Individual Education Plan
g. Individual Family Support Plan
a. Service System
b. Social Service Support System
c. Advocacy System
7. Wellness ( including tobacco cessation).
8. Trauma Informed Services
a. Definition of trauma
b. Manifestations of untreated trauma
c. Trauma treatment vs Trauma Informed Services.