- Posted by:
- Curriculum Office
- Course Number:
- AB 117
- Course Title:
- Auto Painting II
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture hours:
- Lecture/Lab hours:
- Lab hours:
- Special Fee:
Introduces safe use of single stage urethane, advanced masking techniques, small dent repair and detailing. Review and practice of all previously learned painting skills on customer and school owned cars. Prerequisite: AB 116.
Addendum to Course Description
This is an outcome-based course using a lecture/lab format. This course includes classroom discussions, videotapes, and lab demonstrations covering technical skills. Course outcomes will include surface preparation, material conservation, taping, application of material, safety and environmental awareness, communication, computations and human relations. This course is required for a One-year Certificate.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon successful completion of this course students should be able to:
• communicate effectively with employers, coworkers and customers, adapting to feedback as it pertains to terminology, processes and skills of auto body painting and professional workplace behavior on a limited basis.
• work safely in the auto body painting industry and apply a proper understanding of the use of tools, products and chemicals and how those items affect the local and global environment.
• identify and implement strategies and processes to solve basic workplace and auto body painting problems, access and utilize repair information in a rapidly changing technology on a limited basis.
• apply necessary computation skills effectively as they pertain to auto body painting.
• use an understanding of variation in culture and human interactions to working within the team environment in the auto body painting industry.
• apply the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to work within the ethical and professional parameters of the auto body painting profession, with supervision.
Course Activities and Design
Outcome Assessment Strategies
The student will be assessed on his/her ability to demonstrate the development of course outcomes.
The methods of assessment may include one or more of the following:
• oral or written examinations
• written assignments
• visual inspection techniques
• safe work habits
• task performance
• work relations.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
• Function safely in the PCC Auto Collision Shop.
• Student will understand and practice personal safety by using proper protective gear.
• Student will understand and practice hand and power tool safety.
• Student will understand and maintain a safe work area.
• Access and explain the importance of Material safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
Demonstrate professional work ethics (habits).
• Arrive to class on time and prepared for the day’s activities.
• Perform projects in accordance to specifications and procedures.
• Follow directions in a positive manner.
• Manage time productively.
• Respect equipment and fellow students.
• Demonstrate skill in problem solving and decision making.
Operate Spray-painting equipment in accordance with manufacturers standards.
• Demonstrate adjusting a spray gun for single stage paints.
• Review use of Digital Scale for mixing material.
• Demonstrate proper spray-gun handling techniques for single stage paints.
Apply knowledge to mask a vehicle for refinishing.
• Demonstrate techniques used to mask for blending paint.
Gain knowledge and skills in the problem solving process.
• Review converting oz. to liters in the paint mixing process.
• Write a repair plan for blending color using single stage urethane.
• Write an estimate of refinishing costs including labor and materials.
Apply knowledge and skills to correct color match.
• Locate manufacturers paint code.
• Compare vehicle color to color map and/or color variance chart.
• Develop correct color using spray outs and color wheel
• Tint color using factory formula.
Demonstrate abilities to blend paint on a vehicle
• Demonstrate proper surface preparation techniques.
• Demonstrate correct masking techniques.
• Demonstrate proper application techniques.
• Demonstrate correct compounding and polishing techniques.