Application due date: July 31
Make sure you can make the program commitments and meet the requirements, then complete the application below.
Learn more by attending an information session.
The PCC Illumination Project is seeking students to participate in our peer education social justice theater program during the 2015-2016 academic year.
The Illumination Project is an exciting student leadership program based at the PCC Sylvania campus. The program is designed to address issues of social justice including racism, sexism, heterosexism, and classism utilizing interactive theater. Students enter the program the beginning of fall term and continue through the end of spring term.
The Illumination Project has a dual purpose. First the project provides participating students with an opportunity to learn about social justice issues and interactive theater and develop skills as educators, actors, activists, and leaders. These students then educate other students, staff and faculty audiences on confronting stereotypes, conflict negotiation and promoting racial, gender and economic equity.
The Illumination Project training is highly interactive and we will base our work on the life experiences of students involved. Students in the program gain skills in writing, acting, facilitating, event coordination, activism, education, public relations and community organizing. Students also build a close community of friends and colleagues.
Students receive a total of 12 tuition free credits - four free sociology credits each term (214 a, b, and c). These credits are college transferable, meet general education and cultural literacy requirements.
To be eligible you need to commit to a three term process that includes:
- Fall term 2015:
- Class time is on Mondays and Wednesdays from 11am -12:50pm and meets in PAC 101. There will also be a mandatory retreat weekend on September 25 26 & 27. (on-campus). The retreat schedule is as follows:
- Friday, September 25th: 2pm – 5pm in the PAC Lobby
- Saturday, September 26th: 9am – 8pm in the PAC Lobby
- Sunday, September 27th: 9am – 1pm in the PAC Lobby
- Winter and Spring Term 2016:
- Nine to eleven hours a week that includes class time, homework, committee work, rehearsals and theater performances around the PCC Sylvania, other PCC campuses and community organizations. Class continues to meet on Mondays and Wednesdays from 11am -12:50pm with an additional class time on Fridays from 10am-12:50pm.
- During the 2015-2016 academic year you will need:
- To be a PCC student in good standing.
- To have a 2.5 GPA or above.
- To meet standard prerequisites (WR/RD 115 and Math 20). These may be waived with instructor approval.
- To be enrolled at PCC with at least 4 credits per term besides the Illumination Project. Winter and Spring term IP Student Educators may not take more than 13 credits total.
- To have a flexible enough schedule to meet outside of class time.
- We are also looking for the ability to:
- Follow through on commitments. This includes time commitments.
- Work collaboratively in a diverse group.
- You DO NOT need any previous theater or oppressions training.
How to apply
- Limited space is available in the program so we encourage you to start the application process immediately.
- Complete the online application.
- You will need to include your name, phone number, student ID #, and email address.
- You will need to furnish two references.
- Please remember that you must also submit an unofficial print out of your transcript from PCC. You can get it from your MyPCC home page. You may copy and paste your unofficial transcript into a document and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org, drop off a hard copy at CC 267A or bring it to your interview.
- Applications are also available in the Women’s Resource Center CC 268 and in The Illumination Project office CC 267A. Both offices are located in the back of the cafeteria.You can submit bring a hard copy of the application to either of those offices.
- Application due date is Thursday, July 31th, 2015. Apply early as the class fills up!
- After turning in the application form and accompanying materials you will be contacted for an in-person interview.