Sylvania Campus Art Department
The Sylvania Art Department is located at PCC´s largest campus on a beautiful wooded hillside between Tigard and Lake Oswego, just off Interstate 5. The art and art history student at Sylvania will find comprehensive resources and facilities for instruction in a variety of media, including Painting, Drawing, Sculpture, Ceramics, Photography, Printmaking, Basic Design, Calligraphy, and Art History. Classes are small and taught by a community of professional artists and art historians whose mission is to render a strong foundation in the visual arts and art history for transfer to both private art schools and colleges and universities.
Sylvania Campus boasts a state-of-the-art classroom for Art History instruction. Digital projection on three screens, comfortable terraced seats and tables, and appropriate lighting create the perfect atmosphere for viewing art images and films. Unlike traditional large lecture halls, the intimate size of the room promotes dynamic classroom discussion.
Art History students easily access digital art images for study and review using the ARTstor Digital Library of almost 1 million images related to art, architecture, and other academic disciplines. The PCC Library collects books, journals, and DVDs in the area of Fine Art. In addition to ARTstor, the PCC Library subscribes to a wealth of database resources for researching art, including JSTOR, Grove’s Dictionary of Art Online, and Oxford Art Online. With traditional media, the Sylvania Visual Resources Library has a searchable catalogue of more than 50,000 slides.
Sylvania Campus has over 10,000 square feet of facilities dedicated to sculpture and ceramics, including a main studio, tool room, an outbuilding for stone and metal, wood shop, indoor storage rooms, and an outdoor work area. These teaching arenas allow us to teach from an extensive curriculum which includes stone carving, mold making, figure sculpture, wood carving and construction, mixed media, welding and introductory bronze casting and ceramics.
Click below to see some of the tools available in the Sylvania Sculpture Studio.
- Stone carving tools
- down draft tables for dustless carving
- horizontal air compressor with 120 gallon tank, automatic tank drain, air line dryer, additional 120 gallon tank plumbed
- 16 fully plumbed, compressed air work stations including 4 outside in a covered work area with newly poured 10 x 14 foot concrete pad
- Wet cutting diamond band saw
- ICS gas powered, diamond chain saw
- 700 lb capacity hydraulic cart
- Bosch hammer drill
- Welding tools
- 5 oxy-acetylene stations on a manifold system
- Welders: 2 MIG welders, 1 stick welder 2
- 4’x4’ rolling ½” plate top tables with locking casters, cutting table, and ¾” plate table
- Cutting: Plasma cutter, oxyacetylene torches, horizontal band saw, bolt cutters, metal chop saw,10 gauge UniShear, bandsaw, jigsaw
- Forming and Shaping: Imperial wheeling machine, extensive set of over 40 dogs for the anvil, extensive set of over 40 hammers for forming, heating station with rosebud coal forge, 1 4’ x 4’ ½” plate top tables with locking casters, vice
- Grinding/Polishing: Powerful downdraft systems for extraction of dust and fumes, 2 two foot x four foot down draft tables, belt/disc sander for metal hooked up to down draft system, portable shop vac for metal/fumes
- Wood and Mixed Media tools
- Stationary Equipment: 2 band saws, belt/disc sander, scroll saw, compound sliding miter saw, drill press, planer
- Hand held equipment: Router, 6 power hand drills, 5 angle grinders, 2 die grinders, circular saw, palm sanders and orbital sanders, 2 jigsaws, 2 flexible shafts
- Hand Tools and Accessories: 40 well kept gouges, chisels, veiners, rasps, wooden mallets, full set of Forstner bits, auger bits, hole saws, mortising jig, dado blades, etc.
- Bronze Casting tools
- Centrifugal Casting Machine
- Investment casting
- Portable foundry
The Sylvania Ceramics studio features 5 different kinds of kilns to attend to an well-rounded assortment of curricular offerings. Facilities include a sizeable main studio, glaze pantry, indoor kiln room, outdoor kiln building, and an outdoor kiln yard of some 2000 square feet.
Click below to see some of the tools available in the Sylvania Ceramics Studio.
- 3 Skutt Electric kilns
- Geil 20 Cubic Feet Down Draft Gas Kiln
- Raku Kiln (10 cubic feet)
- Bourry Box 20 Cubic Feet Down Draft Wood Kiln
- 16 Cubic Feet Soda Kiln
- Major Equipment
- Laguna Spray Booth
- Trinco Dry Blast 48x36/BP Sandblaster
- North Star 36” Super Slab Roller
- Brent Extruder
- 6 – Lockerbie Kick Wheels
- 12 – Electric Potter’s Wheels (8 Shimpo, 4 Brent)
- Ball Mill
- Pug Mill