TITLE: Library Supervisor
Under the general direction of the Circulation Manager, supervises the day-to day operations at an assigned campus library. Participates in the recommendation and administration of operational policies, procedures and processes. Plans, organizes and coordinates work flow to maintain consistent levels of service to internal and external customers. Ensures and is accountable for the smooth operation of the assigned campus library. Keeps accurate records for planning and accountability purposes and provides excellent customer service. Supervises classified, casual and student staff.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Supervises campus library activities by scheduling, coordinating, implementing, administering and evaluating the workflow and scheduling ensuring consistent levels of service in the assigned campus library and across the District.
2. Hires, evaluates, trains, disciplines and recommends dismissal of staff as necessary to ensure smooth operations following established policies.
3. Accountable for money collection from business transactions, including balancing receipts, preparing cash deposits and managing audits.
4. Works in collaboration with internal and external customers (students, faculty, staff) to fulfill the library mission. Acts as frontline person for communicating and enforcing library policies. Works with individuals to resolve problems.
5. Responsible for security at the campus including overseeing routine drills and evacuations as well as working with safety personnel as needed to ensure safety and security for staff and students.
6. Serves as a liaison with the Library Circulation Manager, circulation staff, librarians and students.
7. Assists students with financial account issues related to library charges.
8. Responsible for collecting and monitoring statistics needed for management of campus and district functions.
9. Responsible for communicating to library users who contact the library via the web.
10. Participates in a variety of meetings, committees, and/or other related campus groups to communicate information regarding services and/or other pertinent information as appropriate.
11. Responsible for management of library inventory at assigned campus.
12. Responsible for hiring, training, tracking the budget, and day-to-day job assignments for on-call casual employees.
13. Positions in this classification may perform all or some of the responsibilities above and all positions perform other related duties as assigned.
Associate’s Degree from an accredited institution. Relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for year basis. Two years of circulation-related library experience, including one year of demonstrated lead or supervisory experience.
- Supervisory principles;
- Library circulation systems;
- Customer service principles;
- Inventory principles;
- Conflict management principles;
- Basic budgeting principles;
- Safety procedures;
- Computer technology software, such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Clear oral and written communication;
Demonstrated Skill in:
- Supervising subordinate staff;
- Interpreting and applying applicable laws, rules, and regulations;
- Monitoring and maintaining a library collection;
- Monitoring the performance of vendors and contractors;
- Resolving conflict; Ability to defuse anger and establish or restore harmony;
- Preparing a variety of financial reports related to retail operational activities;
- Developing, recommending, implementing, and monitoring policies, procedures, and work flow;
- Working with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff;
- Utilizing computer technology used for communication, point of sales, data gathering and generating reports;
- Communicating effectively through oral and written mediums;
- Supervising multiple priorities and events simultaneously.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Work is generally performed in an academic library environment, with frequent interruptions and irregularities in the work schedule. Work schedule will be regular but may vary. Evening or weekend hours may be required. Travel between campuses may be required. Frequent reaching, walking, standing lifting, stooping, or carrying of equipment or library materials may be required. Incumbents may be required to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.