Find a Book or Video in the Library
This page will explain how to use PCC Library search to:
- Search for books and videos
- Find course reserves
- Find items available right now
- Request library items from other PCC campuses
- Request items from other libraries
- Find and view e-books and streaming videos
- Watch the video: How to search for books at PCC Library
Search for books and videos
1. Use the “PCC Library & Summit” search box on the PCC Library homepage.
2. Make sure the “PCC Library & Summit” tab is selected.
3. Enter a title, author, or keyword into the search box and select the magnifying-glass search button on the right.
4. If you want to refine your results by a particular format (like physical books, eBooks, or DVDs): on the left side of the screen, locate the “Format” section and select the format you’re interested in, such as “Print Books” or “DVD Videos”.
Tip: Excluding option
When you check the crossed-out check box icon to the right of each format option, it will exclude that option from your search.
Find course reserves
Search course reserves by checking the “course reserves” option under the library search box on the library homepage:
Or use the “Course Number and Name” or “Course Instructor” sections on the left of the screen to refine a completed search to find items by a course number or instructor:
Learn more about course reserves for students.
Find items available now
Use the “Availability” or “Library” sections on the left of the screen to refine your search results by: items are available on the shelf, in full text online, or at a particular PCC campus library.
Get Physical items (Print Books/DVDs)
Available at PCC
Items in your search results that say “Available at…” and the name of a PCC campus should be located at that campus library.
NOTE: an item may be available at several PCC campuses. Click the “Available at” link to see where else the item may be located.
You can use the “Availability” section on the left to see if a book or DVD is physically available on PCC Library shelves, or to see if an item is available in full text online. You can use the “Library” section underneath “Availability” to refine your results list to items at a specific PCC campus.
Tip: Request from another campus
You can request that an item from any PCC campus be sent to another PCC campus. For instance, if you usually take classes at the Sylvania campus, but the book you want is located at the Cascade campus, you can request to have it sent to you at the Sylvania library.
Learn more about requesting a book or DVD to be sent to your campus library.
Available at other libraries
If one of your search results says “Check holdings and other locations” you may request it from another library.
- Click the “Check holdings and other locations” link.
- On the next screen, click the blue “Sign in” button.
- On the next screen, choose to sign in as “PCC Students, Faculty, and Staff”.
- Use the login screen to sign in with your MyPCC username and password.
- Then use the “Request from another Summit library (about 5 days)” button to request the item.
Get Electronic Items (E-books or Online Videos)
- Refine your search results to show only items available online by using the “Availability” section on the left side of the screen and choosing “Full Text Online”; or select “eBooks” or “eAudio & eVideo” in the “Format” section on the left side of the screen.
- Click “Online Access” for any item you want to view.
- For streaming videos or e-books there will be a message reading “Full text available at:” followed by a link. Click on the link to read your e-book and/or view your video.
- If you’re located off campus, you may be asked to sign in with your PCC username and password to view e-books, e-videos, or other online content through the library.
Watch the video: How to search for books at PCC Library
NOTE: this video contains no audio, only visuals and captions.