Course Content and Outcome Guide for ECE 224
- Course Number:
- ECE 224
- Course Title:
- Multicult. Pract: Curriculum
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionDevelops awareness of cultural and ethnic issues as they relate to the early childhood classroom teacher. Focuses on ethnocentrism, racism and discrimination. Includes techniques for developing multi-cultural, anti-bias curriculum. Prerequisite: ECE 124. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This course will present to students knowledge of the ways culture and ethnicity influence expectations, behaviors, and relationships between children, parents, and early childhood professionals. In addition, knowledge of curriculum development and implementation, of the teacher's role in helping children and parents adapt to early childhood settings, and of advocacy techniques will be presented.
Course Activities and Design
Course material will be presented using lecture, discussion, guest speakers, audio-visual presentations, and small group sessions.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
Grading policy will be discussed and distributed with the course handout. Student's grades will be based on class attendance and active participation, on written exams or quizzes covering the theoretical and applied information for reading, lecture, and class activities, and on satisfactory completion of all assignments. Make-up exams and acceptance of late assignments is at instructor discretion.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Define applicable terms in including ethnocentrism, racism, prejudice, discrimination, etc.
- Identify and describe socio-cultural influences on the family and child development
- Identify and describe your own cultural roots, personal values, and attitudes
- Identify and describe issues impacting minorities in our society
- Analyze materials and activities for multi-culturalism and bias
- Plan anti-bias, multicultural, developmentally appropriate activities for young children
- Identify community resources for children, families, and early childhood professionals
- Identify various styles and opportunities of advocacy for children and families