TITLE: Facilities Project Manager
Under the direction of the Department Director responsible for managing, and overseeing facilities planning, site planning, and programming for District-wide facilities and assisting with capital investment programs. Incumbents also oversee external lease agreements for the District. Typical responsibilities include: providing advice for campus planning and design improvements; overseeing external lease agreements; meeting with potential tenants to negotiate lease agreements; monitoring lease renewals; reviewing and processing payments for property management; and, organizing and conducting public meetings to gather input on concerns regarding future capital investment.
The Facilities Project Manager is responsible for overseeing capital improvement projects for the District.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Participates in District facilities capital investment planning activities. Provides advice and consultation for Campus planning and design of improvements and capital construction projects.
Oversees external lease agreements for the District. Meets with potential tenants to negotiate lease agreements, monitor lease renewals, review and process payments for property management company, and resolves any applicable issues that arise.
Represents the College at external meetings with outside agencies. Serves as a liaison with city, county, state, and federal agencies on issues related to facility planning for the District.
Manages all phases of project development for large and /or complex construction and facility improvement projects.
Organizes and conducts public community meetings to gather input and address neighborhood concerns related to the College's future capital investment program.
Researches and makes recommendations on permitting and site planning of public facilities, land exchanges, right-of-ways, easements, and zoning changes.
Participates in the selection of vendors and contractors. Participates in defining the terms of contract agreements and ensures work is completed satisfactorily. Monitors the performance of contracts to ensure compliance with applicable specifications.
Monitors project budgets to identify potential financial overruns and variances; makes appropriate recommendations to alleviate financial implications.
Plans, prepares, monitors, and manages facility project budgets.
Positions in this classification may perform all or some of the responsibilities above and all positions perform other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree in Planning or Construction Management. Relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis. Two years responsible facility planning and construction project management experience.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
- Construction management principles;
- Facility planning principles;
- Architectural and engineering principles, practices, and procedures;
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes;
- Negotiation techniques;
- Construction design standards;
- Budgeting principles;
- Contract management principles;
- Advanced project management principles.
Demonstrated Skill in:
- Interpreting and applying applicable laws, rules, and regulations;
- Analyzing problems, identifying alternative solutions, projecting consequences of proposed actions, and making recommendations in support of goals;
- Managing multiple on-going projects;
- Conducting negotiations and mediations;
- Preparing a variety business documents and reports;
- Inspecting construction sites for compliance with applicable standards, codes, and regulations;
- Enforcing applicable construction and building code requirements;
- Managing contracts;
- Preparing requests for proposals and project specifications;
- Reading blueprints, schematic drawings, and/or construction drawings;
- Working with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff;
- Utilizing computer technology used for communication, data gathering and reporting;
- Communicating effectively through oral and written mediums.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Work is generally performed in both an office and outdoor environment, with frequent interruptions and irregularities in the work schedule. Frequent sitting, reaching, walking, standing, lifting, stooping, or carrying of equipment and materials may be required. Incumbents may be required to lift and carry up to 25 pounds.