TITLE: Bookstore Supervisor
Under the general direction of the Bookstore Manager, supervises the day-to-day operations at an assigned campus bookstore. Participates in the recommendation and administration of operational policies, procedures and processes. Plans, organizes and coordinates work flow to maintain consistent levels of service to the internal and external clients. Ensures and is accountable for the smooth operation of the assigned campus store. Keeps accurate records for planning and accountability purposes, ensuring a sufficient inventory of books and merchandise, and providing efficient and knowledgeable customer service. Supervises classified and student staff.
TYPICAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervises campus store activities by coordinating, implementing, administering and evaluating the operation and workflow ensuring consistent levels of service in assigned campus store.
- Hires, evaluates, trains, disciplines and recommends dismissal of staff as necessary to ensure smooth operations following established policies.
- Accountable for the monies collected from business transactions including balancing receipts and preparing cash deposits. Monitors expenses to ensure compliance with applicable fiscal restrains.
- Works in collaboration with internal and external clients to fulfill bookstore mission. Acts as front line person for communicating and enforcing bookstore policy. Works with individuals to resolve any disputes/problems.
- Participates in loss prevention activities to include research and investigation of problematic issues and fraud. May view online camera feeds and work cooperatively with campus Public Safety to determine if loss or fraud has occurred.
- Serves as a liaison with store manager, bookstore buyers, faculty and vendors.
- Inputs and retrieves student financial aid information from college mainframe and/or other computer networks.
- Keeps detailed records of merchandise received and transferred to other bookstore sites; ensures through self or others the data entry of goods received and transferred.
- Responsible for fulfillment of web orders and responding to customer service issues at specific campus.
- Participates in a variety of meetings, committees, and/or other related campus groups to communicate information regarding services and/or other pertinent information as appropriate.
- Responsible to conduct and oversee store inventory in compliance with policy and auditor recommendations.
- Positions in this classification may perform all or some of the responsibilities above and all positions perform other related duties as assigned.
Associate's Degree in Business or related field. Relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis. Two years of retail experience, including one year of demonstrated lead or supervisory experience.
- Supervisory principles;
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes related to retail operations;
- Cash handling principles and practices;
- Inventory management principles and practices;
- Customer service principles;
- Conflict management principles;
- Basic budgeting principles;
- Basic financial accounting principles;
- Safety procedures;
- Computer technology software;
- Entrepreneurial principles and practices.
Demonstrated Skill in:
- Supervising subordinate staff;
- Interpreting and applying applicable laws, rules, and regulations;
- Monitoring and maintaining inventory;
- Monitoring the performance of vendors and contractors;
- Resolving conflict; Ability to defuse anger and establish or restore harmony;
- Preparing a variety of financial reports related to retail operational activities;
- Developing, recommending, implementing, and monitoring policies, procedures, and work flow;
- Working with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff;
- Utilizing computer technology used for communication, point of sales, data gathering and generating reports;
- Communicating effectively through oral and written mediums;
- Supervising multiple priorities and events simultaneously.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Work is generally performed in a retail environment, with frequent interruptions and irregularities in the work schedule. Work hours may vary and occasional evening and weekend hours are required. Travel between campuses may be required. Frequent reaching, walking, standing, lifting, stooping, or carrying of equipment and materials may be required. Incumbents may be required to lift and carry up to 50 pounds.