TITLE: Truck Driver
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
Under the direction of the Central Distribution Services management, drives a 1-1/2 ton single axle truck, and other vehicles involved with the delivery of equipment, furnishings, supplies for the college system. Responsible for serving all college departments within the district. Exercises independent judgment within the transportation laws that regulate the handling of hazardous and other materials, weight restrictions limiting the amount of heavy materials, and time restrictions. Responsible for servicing departments and must adhere to a sensitive time schedule. Job requires ordinary conversational skills and courtesy to exchange routine information and provide routine assistance. Interpersonal contacts include peers in immediate work group and any staff member receiving deliveries. Responsible for producing journey-level work output on an independent basis subject to supervisory direction and review.
- Performs daily pick up and deliveries to and from various college locations as well as other organizations in the State.
- Loads and unloads cargo to and from the truck trailer.
- Drives on highways and main arteries throughout the Portland metro area, and other outlying cities within the college district.
- Uses hand truck to handle 150 lbs. or more, while going up and down stairs making deliveries for the college.
- Creates a delivery route, ensuring all necessary deliveries are made efficiently.
- Signs and maintains delivery documents. Monitors records of deliveries.
- Performs preventive maintenance service to trucks, and arranges for other repairs as necessary.
- Maintains a clean and safe work environment. Follows safety procedures and uses proper lifting techniques to ensure personal health and safety as well as safety of others. Participates in on-going training in the safe handling of chemicals and other potentially hazardous materials.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is performed with moderate exposure to one or more disagreeable conditions, including outdoor work in weather extremes, undesirable cleaning or repair assignments, and moderately hazardous conditions.
Position involves considerable physical exertion such as frequent moving of heavy objects of at least 150 lbs., and the operation of equipment (forklift, palette pulley, moving dollies and hand trucks) requiring full body exertion.
High school diploma or equivalent. One year of experience which demonstrates the ability to accelerate, decelerate, steer, shift gears, back up, and brake while driving a 1-1/2 ton vehicle.
Must be able to drive a truck in highly congested and structural areas. Ability to operate forklift, palette pulley, moving dollies, and hand trucks. Basic knowledge of material safety data sheets and handling hazardous materials. Basic knowledge of motor engine, body, chassis, and electrical system to perform preventive maintenance service to trucks. Must be knowledgeable with the truck driving and safety practices and regulations required by the Department of Motor Vehicles.
Must have a valid driver's license to operate a motor vehicle in the State of Oregon, and possess an acceptable driving record.