TITLE: Lead Payroll Specialist
Under the general direction of the Payroll Manager, coordinates the processing of multiple payrolls for the college. Coordinates department workload and maintains the monthly work calendar which includes ensuring timely payment and reporting of payroll withholdings. Responsible for completing quarterly and yearly multi-state tax reports. As part of work assignment, incumbent specializes in and is accountable for payroll reconciliations.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Processes monthly, bi-weekly, and retiree payroll for the college. Send communications out to PCC regarding payroll deadlines, and manually submits late timesheets for employees and coordinates with managers on approvals later.
- Conducts various payroll reconciliations and troubleshoots any issues that arise.
- Provides direction and assistance to department staff regarding payroll processes. Coordinates the workload of the Payroll department. Monitors staff workload based on input from individual specialists and gives recommendations to manager for final decisions on actual adjustments to workload.
- Processes mini feeds for Contracts & Grants.
- Ensures accurate accounting and reporting on all payroll related feeds to finance. Monitors and updates payroll department/process procedures and contributes to development of college-wide payroll related policies and procedures.
- Uses computer and various software programs to input, maintain, research, and retrieve information. Participates in changes to the HR/Payroll computer system by assisting the Payroll Manager with testing and rule/validation table changes.
- Completes quarterly and yearly tax reports and W2s. Stays current, complies with and provides interpretations on various rules, regulations, laws, contracts and policies. May work with government agencies, benefit providers, auditors and/or other college staff to resolve problems and provide requested information.
- Coordinates, develops and maintains written documentation regarding payroll procedures and processes necessary for reference and training materials.
- In the absence of the Payroll Manager, coordinates the daily payroll activities and functions to ensure smooth operations.
- Trains Payroll Specialists and participates in and coordinates Payroll department sponsored college staff training sessions.
- Communicates technical and confidential information to college staff/student employees and outside agencies upon request. Provides immediate response to requests for clarification and interpretation of data.
- Provides backup to payroll specialists as needed.
- Performs other related duties or projects as assigned.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements
Work is performed in a standard office environment where work pressure, disturbances of workflow and/or irregularities in the work schedule are expected and occur on an intermittent basis. Subject to severe penalties regarding non-compliance with strict timelines imposed by external agencies and union contracts. Changes in the performance environment require occasional upgrading of skills. Exposure to video display terminals occurs on a regular basis. Minimal physical exertion is generally required. Learned physical skill is required to perform keyboarding and 10-key functions.
High school diploma or equivalent. Associate degree or two years of college-level coursework in accounting, business or related area is required. Relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis. Three years of progressive work experience in complex payroll processing with quarterly and/or annual payroll tax reporting responsibilities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Basic accounting principles;
- Payroll processing;
- Tax withholding;
- Applicable Federal, State, and local laws, rules, regulations, codes, and/or statutes related to payroll;
- Banner systems.
- Effectively and accurately communicating both in writing and verbally;
- Spreadsheet and word processing software.
- Apply complex salary and compensation calculations in processing payroll;
- Analyze and interpret data for accuracy;
- Lead, train, and coordinate work of others;
- Work effectively with diverse academic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students and staff.