TITLE: Bulk Mail Clerk/Driver
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
Under the direction of Central Stores management, performs a variety of tasks to process incoming and outgoing college bulk mail, and to provide pickup and delivery services according to college and postal service requirements/regulations. Interpersonal contacts include staff, students and external agency representatives. Job requires deadlines to be met on a periodic basis. Requires understanding of technical mail regulations and requirements and the ability to present and exchange this type of information with college and mailing personnel. Work results impact the accuracy and reliability of further results beyond the immediate work section. Responsible for producing journey-level work output on an independent basis subject to supervisory direction and review.
- Processes college bulk mailings in accordance with college procedures and U.S. postal requirements for accurate and timely dispatch.
- Provides pickup and delivery services of bulk mailings, office supplies and equipment items using college vehicle.
- Performs related recordkeeping, including computerized cost center charge back system, delivery log, chart of accounts and reconciles college account ledger with post office transaction report.
- Maintains current knowledge of U.S. postal and other delivery service regulations.
- Serves as primary backup for College Mail Clerk as needed, including operation of network printer, folding inserting, mail machines and other mail related duties in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Maintains supplies related to bulk mailings.
- Provides information concerning postal and college regulations via phone and in person in regards to mail related activities during busy and high volume periods.
- Maintains a clean and safe workplace. Follows safety procedures and uses proper lifting techniques to ensure personal health and safety. Participates in initial and ongoing training in the safe handling of chemicals and other potentially hazardous materials.
- Cross trains with other Central Distribution Services employees to serve as backup as needed.
- Operates forklift, pallet jack, hand truck, delivery van and may use personal vehicle during the course of duties.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is primarily performed in a non-office environment. Exposure to adverse weather conditions while performing pickups and deliveries as well as adverse road conditions while driving a college vehicle.
Must be able to lift/move heavy equipment (70+) lbs. Learned physical skill required for proper and safe lifting and material handling techniques. Must have the ability to drive and operate a van, forklift, pallet jack and hand truck.
High school diploma or equivalent. Six months of experience making deliveries using a motor vehicle and sorting materials for routing or filling orders. Good organization, communication, recordkeeping and math skills required. Must have the ability to perform data entry/retrieval procedures.
Basic knowledge of safety procedures related to handling of chemicals and other potentially hazardous material OR willingness to attend related training upon hire and on an on-going basis.
Must have valid driver's license to operate a motor vehicle in State of Oregon and possess acceptable driving record. Must have the ability to meet requirements for forklift driver certification.