TITLE: Bookstore Leader/Buyer
EXEMPT STATUS: Non-exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
Under the direction of bookstore management, organizes and implements the purchase of goods and supplies according to applicable procedures and requirements to serve the students and staff of the college campuses. In the absence of the manager, responsible for the overall store operation. Interpersonal contacts may extend to various college staff members, students and vendors. Job requires well-developed verbal skills to present and exchange technical or complex information. Incumbent is a key contributor with work results impacting the accuracy, reliability and acceptability of further results beyond the immediate work section. Responsible for performing work requiring advanced job skills and for responding to work situations with minimum guidance or direction. Incumbent is expected to function independently in accordance with college and state statutory requirements, subject to only general supervisory direction and review.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: (Includes some or all of the following)
- Prioritizes tasks and requisitions in order to ensure goods and supplies are procured and available when needed. Maintains proper inventory levels at four campus stores. Transfers merchandise as necessary. Creates, enters and posts charge backs for overstock returns, defective merchandise and miss-shipped product.
- Performs lead responsibilities for the work group in the absence of the store manager. Provides input into the performance evaluation process. Provides guidance in the resolution of problems. Assists in employee training.
- Completes essential processes to solicit potential sources of supply, quantity levels, use of relevant state statutes and time sensitive criteria to meet needs of users. Determines prices, markdowns, price changes and promotional sales.
- Obtains information from vendors, suppliers and publishers about costs, ordering instructions, returns and co-op advertising. Maintains professional and ethical relationship with vendors and suppliers.
- In the absence of the bookstore manager, is in charge of monitoring and implementing bookstore policies and procedures for all campus retail stores. Initiates corrective actions as needed to eliminate pilferage by customers, staff and general public. Maintains all security and cash handling policies.
- Works closely with the accounting staff to ensure validity of vendor terms, payment schedules and credits. Enters and posts receiving documents to POS system. Completes detailed paperwork and records using a variety of software. Maintains SKU maintenance file for POS system. Follows up on discrepancies related to shipping, invoicing and accounting.
- Analyzes past and present orders and uses information for obtaining timely delivery, optimum pricing and best user service. Creates and posts price adjustments to system.
- Maintains appropriate support files to ensure compliance with college policy/procedures and state legal requirements. Updates as needed. Monitors industry trends and products through continued education at trade and regional meeting.
- Promotes product through effective merchandising, displaying and advertising. Coordinates and integrates special events or other marketing strategies with manager.
- Informs users about store equipment requirements, deadlines and documentation needs. Monitors maintenance, repair and service agreements for bookstore equipment and business machines.
- Performs cataloging of materials utilizing an automated computer system. Maintains current knowledge of POS system through continued training.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is performed both in an office and retail environment Exposure to video display terminals occurs with varied frequency.
Learned physical skill is required to perform keyboarding and/or ten-key functions. Management of physical inventory is occasionally required necessitating moderate lifting.
High school diploma or equivalent. Associate's degree in Business/Accounting with course work in purchasing, inventory management or business retail management. Experience performing the duties described above may substitute for the degree requirement on a year for year basis.
Two years experience in purchasing or buying in either a public institution or a position which includes procurement of a wide variety of goods and services. Knowledge of Oregon State purchasing statutes and other governing regulations.
Demonstrated skill in communication and interpersonal relationships. Ability to lead, train and coordinate the work of others in a team environment. Ability to comprehend technical language and to confer, analyze and write in an objective manner. Proficiency in use of computers, 10-key calculator and other software.