TITLE: Online Student Services Facilitator
CLASS: Academic Professional
EXEMPT STATUS: Exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK
Under the direction of Distance Learning management, the Online Student Services Facilitator supports efforts to further the growth of the college’s distance education program. The incumbent works closely with student services staff, faculty, and other members of the college community to develop, improve and expand online student services. Areas of accountability include enhancing student access and success in distance learning, selecting and using appropriate media and activities, creating and maintaining a student services community, developing effective feedback and evaluation tools to identify and address issues related to the needs of online learners.
Highly developed verbal skills are needed to communicate technical concepts and ideas to individuals and groups.
PRINCIPAL ACCOUNTABILITIES (Includes all or some of the following)
- Acts as primary contact and assists student services personnel with the development and delivery of technology-based services to students. Develops new online student services applications to provide additional support to students studying at a distance; identifies opportunities to help student services staff use technology more effectively. When appropriate, provides direct services to students.
- Teaches student services staff to use selected media and strategies to deliver a full range of student services to students studying at a distance.
- Serves as the data custodian and principal distance learning representative for all web sites, help desks and publications providing information and services to distance learners.
- Identifies, develops and offers training in the use of online resources and technologies. Designs and presents staff development programs.
- Identifies resources and works with college departments or other organizations to make resources available to staff providing services to online learners.
- Creates and facilitates an online student services community. Seeks feedback from student services staff and students; identifies and resolves issues related to student services in distance learning.
- Works closely with other distance education and instructional support staff to create an integrated learning environment focused on quality and student success.
- Serves as a member of the student services distance learning advisory committee.
- Works closely with the college web team to ensure that college web sites reflect the needs of online learners.
- Ensures that departments and programs offering online degrees and certificates are marketed and supported for the intended students.
- Participates in the planning for current and future college distance learning needs and provides input to management on methods of improvement.
- Maintains technical expertise and knowledge of best practices in distance learning, online educational trends, changes and developments and service strategies. Recommends new approaches, modifications or changes that will improve efficiency and/or effectiveness.
- Meets quarterly development timelines and works closely with other development and technology staff as needed to support the distance learning program.
- Assists in the development of policies, practices and standards which facilitate effective use of distance learning technologies.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
WORK ENVIRONMENT AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Exposure to video display terminals occurs on a regular basis. Work pressure from deadlines and daily interruptions of work flow are expected and occur on a regular basis.
Minimal physical exertion is required. Learned physical skill is required to perform keyboarding function.
Bachelor’s degree in Education with an emphasis in student services. Relevant experience may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Demonstrated experience in using technology to deliver student services in a post secondary educational setting is required. Must have experience developing online student services; using computers and software for communicating with students and multimedia development and production tools. Experience in the creation of instructional and informational material for the internet, and familiarity with telecommunications technologies as they relate to distance learning and the internet is required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge and understanding of the service needs of distance learners
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of student support services
- Knowledge of project management principles
- Knowledge of training techniques and adult learning theory
- Knowledge of computer and software applications and emerging technologies for communicating with students
- Skill in project management including communication, organization, facilitation and independent decision-making
- Skill in identifying and resolving problems
- Skill in communicating technical information to non-technical audience
- Skill in applying software application development tools
- Skill in performing needs assessment
- Ability to design and present staff development programs
- Ability to establish cooperative working relationships with faculty and staff
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to coordinate activities with a wide variety of staff and management
- Ability to learn new software without difficulty