TITLE: Nursing Skills Lab Facilitator
CLASS: Academic Professional
EXEMPT STATUS: Exempt
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK
Under the direction of the Director of Nursing Programs, facilitates the operation of the nursing skills lab. Primary accountabilities include coordinating the utilization of the nursing lab including the scheduling of students, staff and work study students into the lab; orienting new staff and faculty to the philosophy and learning activities of the lab; operationalizing the curricular learning activities as identified by full-time faculty, as well as providing faculty with guidance related to the use of the skills lab learning environment. The incumbent acts as team leader for the nursing lab. He or she also serves as a mentor and role model for the faculty regarding the program philosophy for teaching students in the skills lab.
- Coordinates the utilization of the nursing skills laboratory including the scheduling of students, staff, and work study students into the laboratory.
- Orients new staff and faculty to the philosophy, learning activities, procedures and policies of the nursing lab. Serves as mentor and role model for the nursing program's philosophy for teaching students in the skills lab. Trains staff and faculty in the safe maintenance and use of all equipment used in the laboratory. Provides work direction for work study students and staff. Monitors performance of lab work study students and reports any problems to administrative supervision.
- Coordinates the support activities of the nursing laboratory. Acquires, maintains and inventories equipment, materials, supplies and written materials required for student instructional needs. Performs repairs on equipment. Coordinates the lending of lab equipment, supplies, and materials to students. Maintains contact with vendors. Establishes procedures for the use of equipment, supplies, materials, and other items used. Provides for the general cleanliness and security of the laboratory. Appropriately disposes of hazardous materials. Ensures the lab meets all OSHA standards and maintains appropriate documentation.
- Acts as team leader for the nursing skills lab and attends team leader meetings as scheduled by the department director.
- Maintains records of activities undertaken in the support of the lab. Participates in the budgetary process.
- Participates with students in "Video Lab" - human simulation care experiences in the skills lab.
- Participates in the implementation of skills lab learning activities as determined by the Nursing Subject Area Committees.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Work is primarily performed in the nursing skills laboratory which may require occasional exposure to safety hazards.
Frequent standing, lifting and carrying of materials and equipment.
Bachelor's degree in nursing. Current nursing license required. Demonstrated work experience in nursing. Experience performing the duties of this job may substitute for the degree requirement on a year-for-year basis. Three years' experience managing a pre-licensure nursing program skills lab, including working with reports, budgets and budget forsaking related to the fiscal needs of a nursing skills lab.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
Knowledge of nursing skills.
Skill in facilitating development of student problem solving skills.
Ability to work collaboratively with faculty and staff.
Ability to communicate in oral and written form.
Ability to organize and schedule a skills lab for a large associate degree nursing program.
Ability to use electroninc learning platforms for dissemination of materials.
Ability to use an Electronic Medical Record (EMR) to deliver skills lab learning activities.