- Course Number:
- PE 182F
- Course Title:
- Boot Camp I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionFocuses on cardiorespiratory fitness and muscular endurance using dumbbells and other equipment (physioballs, steps, etc.) Covers key muscle groups, facilitating muscle fitness and flexibility gains. Introduces high-intensity calisthenic training in a group class format. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Each student supplies his/her own clothing. Clothing should be unrestrictive and comfortable for exercise. Shoes are mandatory and should be designed for cross training and/or aerobic training. Class format includes warm-up, cardiovascular and muscular endurance intervals, strength exercises, flexibility work, and cool-down.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course student should be able to:
- Improve physical conditioning (muscle and cardiorespiratory endurance, strength, flexibility, and body composition) through participation in Boot Camp.
- Utilize skills learned in Boot Camp for maintaining lifelong health and fitness.
- Apply the principles and techniques of cardiorespiratory and muscle conditioning as learned in Boot Camp.
- Experience the relationship of the mind, body and spirit.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre and post fitness testing
- Attendance and participation in class
- Personal goal setting, evaluation, and achievement
- Demonstrations of proficiency in health and fitness skills
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Components of fitness
- Benefits of aerobic training
- Benefits of muscular strength and endurance training
- Benefits of flexibility training
- Target heart rate and rate of perceived exertion (RPE)
- Warm-ups and cool downs
- Principles of cardiorespiratory, muscle, interval, and flexibility training
- Exercise myths
- Mind-body awareness
Competencies and Skills:
- Practice appropriate warm-up and cool down activities
- Monitor heart rate and RPE safely and effectively
- Choose safe, appropriate attire and footwear
- Select and employ routines appropriate to current fitness level and for achievement of personal goals
- Modify routines and appropriately for special needs
- Demonstrate proper body alignment and breathing techniques
- Apply components of fitness and principles of cardiorespiratory and muscle conditioning
- Demonstrate proper technique and safety considerations when using resistance equipment