Course Content and Outcome Guide for PE 182F Effective Winter 2016
- Course Number:
- PE 182F
- Course Title:
- Boot Camp
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionA group exercise class focusing on cardio respiratory fitness and muscular endurance using dumbbells and other equipment (physioballs, steps, etc.) This class concentrates on all key muscle groups, working toward muscle fitness and flexibility gains. This class is geared to those who enjoy high-intensity callisthenic training in a group class format. Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
Each student supplies his/her own clothing. Clothing should be unrestrictive and comfortable for exercise. Shoes are mandatory and should be designed for cross training and/or aerobic training. Class format includes warm-up, cardiovascular and muscular endurance intervals, strength exercises, flexibility work, and cool-down.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Improve physical conditioning (muscle and cardio-respiratory endurance, strength, flexibility, and body composition).
- Develop skills for maintaining lifelong health and fitness.
- Experience the relationship of the mind, body and spirit.
- Apply the principles, language, and techniques of cardio-respiratory and muscle conditioning.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Pre and post fitness testing
- Attendance and participation in class
- Personal goal setting, evaluation, and achievement
- Demonstrations of proficiency in health and fitness skills
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Components of fitness
- Benefits of aerobic training
- Benefits of muscular strength and endurance training
- Benefits of flexibility training
- Target heart rate and rate of perceived exertion (RPE)
- Warm-ups and cool downs
- Principles of cardiorespiratory, muscle, interval, and flexibility training
- Exercise myths
- Mind-body awareness
Competencies and Skills:
- Practice appropriate warm-up and cool down activities
- Monitor heart rate and RPE safely and effectively
- Choose safe, appropriate attire and footwear
- Select and employ routines appropriate to current fitness level and for achievement of personal goals
- Modify routines and appropriately for special needs
- Demonstrate proper body alignment and breathing techniques
- Apply components of fitness and principles of cardiorespiratory and muscle conditioning
- Demonstrate proper technique and safety considerations when using resistance equipment