- Course Number:
- PE 162J
- Course Title:
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionImproves fitness, health and overall wellness through Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) fitness activity. Covers basic knowledge and skills needed (such as movements, positions, and concepts) in a progressive skill building approach. Emphasizes proper technique, mobility, pressure and leverage awareness. Intended for those interested in establishing a foundational knowledge of BJJ, or for those who would like to learn self-defense utilizing ground techniques. Both Gi techniques and non-Gi techniques will be taught in the class. Students will be required to obtain Gi by the 3rd week of class. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Improve overall physical conditioning through participation in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, including but not limited to improvements in cardio-respiratory fitness, muscle fitness, and flexibility.
- Perform safe and effective self defense skills and techniques.
- Apply learned skills, technique and knowledge in belt rank advancement tests.
- Develop a lifelong fitness, health, and wellness program.
- Experience the relationship of the mind, body and spirit.
Course Activities and Design
- Basic form - movements
- Self defense skills
- Balance and focus drills
- Sport etiquette/rules
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Attendance and Participation
- Practical Exams
- Skill Assessment (via demonstration)
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Learn and practice proper warm-ups and cool-downs
- Basic sparring movements, including defensive and offensive movements
- Body awareness, mechanics and alignment