- Course Number:
- DS 206
- Course Title:
- Medium/Heavy Duty Truck Brake, Suspension & Steering
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionExamines concepts in medium/heavy duty truck brake systems, suspension and steering. Covers air brake systems, hydraulic brake systems, truck foundation brakes, antilock brakes, automatic slack adjusters, wheels, tires and fifth wheels. Emphasizes safety and the use of service manuals and textbooks. Prerequisites: (RD 80 or equivalent placement) and (MTH 20 or equivalent placement). Audit available.
Addendum to Course Description
This is an outcome based course utilizing a lecture/lab format and includes videos, workbooks, demonstrations, lectures, and hands on learning. It prepared the student to confidently work on this subject in an industrial environment.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Upon completion of the course students should be able to:
- Disassemble, inspect, reassemble and understand components of air brake systems, truck foundation brakes, antilock brake systems, steering systems, suspension systems, wheels and tires, and fifth wheels.
- Use needed tools to properly repair and maintain brake systems, steering systems, suspension systems, wheels, tires, and fifth wheels.
- Diagnose failures and practice researching the failure symptoms in service manuals and other sources to research and diagnose failures.
- Use protective gear and safe procedures in all work areas.
Course Activities and Design
- Disassemble, assemble, and show skills in brakes and suspensions.
- Learn proper use and care of tools.
- Demonstrate safe work procedures.
- Build a portfolio of all work and projects.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Written multiple choice, true/false and short answer tests.
- Hands on practical tests.
- Daily/weekly/term project portfolio.
- Work ethics.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Knowledge of air brake systems.
- Learn the basic operation of compressed air as used in air brake, single air brake and dual brake systems.
- Learn and demonstrate maintenance and service of air brake components.
Knowledge of truck foundation brakes.
- Learn about and identify components of s-cam brakes, slack adjusters, wedge brakes and disk brake systems.
- Learn about, troubleshoot and demonstrate how WABCO ABS, Bendix ABS and Midland-Grau ABS systems work.
Knowledge of steering systems.
- Learn a knowledge of suspension systems.
- Learn to identify parts and explain load and torque of spring, torsion bar, air bag, and equalizing beam suspensions.
Knowledge of wheels and tires.
- Learn an understanding of wheels and tires.
- Learn operation and maintenance of wheel and tire components.
Knowledge of fifth wheels.
- Learn an understanding of fifth wheels.
- Learn the types, operation, inspection and service of fifth wheels.
Practice personal safety.
- Learn and practice personal safety by wearing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Learn and practice shop cleanliness.
- Learn and practice tool maintenance and safety.