Course Content and Outcome Guide for DH 260
- Course Number:
- DH 260
- Course Title:
- Periodontology I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduction to the science and management of periodontal diseases. Emphasizes microbial, biochemical and etiological principles. The course will correlate to clinical activities.
Intended Outcomes for the course
- Describe the etiology, pathology, symptoms, treatment options and management of periodontal disease.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage periodontal treatment of dental hygiene clinic patients as a member of a dental team.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
4. Complete assessments in each module of instruction using interactive multimedia. Report results of topic assessments to course instructor using WEB conferencing.
5. Midterm and final exams.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Acute and chronic gingival disease
Signs and symptoms
Etiology of gingival disease
Signs and symptoms
Etiology of periodontal disease
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Describe the pathogenesis of periodontal disease.
- Differentiate between healthy gingiva, gingivitis and periodontitis .
- Identify and discuss all the various types and causes of gingival enlargement.
- Describe the causes, types, disease characteristics, and treatment of conditions classified as periodontitis.
- Explain the pathogenesis of the periodontal pocket.
- Describe the process by which bone is lost around the teeth in periodontitis. Include mechanisms, histopathology, variations,and causes.
- Discuss the relationship of plaque and calculus to periodontal disease in relation to the treatment of a diseased root surface.
- Describe the characteristic features of periodontal disease plaques.
- Complete case studies of periodontal patients as assigned.