Course Content and Outcome Guide for DH 208
- Course Number:
- DH 208
- Course Title:
- Community Oral Health I
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduction to national and local public health issues and initiatives for delivering care to varied populations.
Addendum to Course Description
- Associate historical development of dental hygiene to the mission of oral public health.
- Discuss the federal, state and local structure of oral public health.
- Identify target populations and discuss barriers to care.
- Explore legislative initiatives and movements that address and improve access to care issues.
- Identify various payment methods, insurance plans and government role in funding oral health care.
Course Activities and Design
Discuss the history of public health and dental public health with special emphasis on the Surgeon Generals Report on Oral Health in America.
- Explore Healthy People 2010 and relate the goals on a national, state, and local level.
- Recognize various roles of the dental hygienist, including the public health dental hygienist.
- Explore water fluoridation as one of the top ten public health measures in the U.S.
- Describe a typical water fluoridation program and compare the benefits with other forms of fluoridation.
- Identify and list the steps of the public health model.
- Discuss the problem of access to care in the United States and compare this to the health care system of other countries.
- Describe current health financing options and discuss proposals for future health and dental care plans.
- Identify high risk populations with dental needs and discuss the barriers to the delivery of oral health care.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Participate in a simulated town hall discussion of water fluoridation
- Comprehensive final exam
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
- Historical public health concerns and efforts
- The Public Health Model
- Access to oral health care, barriers, risk factors and financing.