Course Content and Outcome Guide for BCT 103 Effective Summer 2015
- Course Number:
- BCT 103
- Course Title:
- Residential Materials and Methods
- Credit Hours:
- Lecture Hours:
- Lecture/Lab Hours:
- Lab Hours:
- Special Fee:
Course DescriptionIntroduces function and performance characteristics of basic building materials, components, methods, and sequences in the construction process. Emphasizes residential construction. Audit available.
Intended Outcomes for the course
Have a working knowledge of materials and methods as they are used at the trade level. Use resources for identifying materials and methods appropriate for the construction project. Analyze to determine the materials function and utility for cost effective performance in construction projects.
Organize building materials and components for sequencing construction activities to maximize cost effective performance.
Outcome Assessment Strategies
- Research and compile a building product manual of materials organized by the C S I mastery format.
- Student teams will present an informational demonstration on a building material.
- Students will review and report of current articles in construction periodicals relevant to themes, issues and concepts of the class.
- Students will individually demonstrate their mastery of the themes, issues and concepts of BCT 103 completing mastery examinations.
Course Content (Themes, Concepts, Issues and Skills)
Themes, issues and concepts
- Wood products
- Product Grading
- Product inspection
- Site conditions
- Synthetic products
- C S I mastery format
- Finishes, Interior and Exterior
- Properties of materials
- Research including Internet resources
- Verbal communication
- Written communication
- Critical thinking
- Team work